This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Combining F1, H1, and Stretch Series

Started by Stephen Thayer, June 29, 2016 · 25 Replies · 915 Views

Stephen Thayer

I've been doing F1 for a few weeks now and love it.  I decided to add H1 this week because the idea of mastering a proper gymnastics handstand is very motivating for me.  I'm using the 5-day, Monday-Friday template for F1 and added H1 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  This schedule has proven to be time consuming, but hasn't hurt my recovery so far as I can tell. 

I'm finding that several of my progressions have stalled due to mobility and flexibility problems (I sit in a chair for a living).  My question is this:

Should I add Stretch to the F1 and H1 programs to help with my mobility issues, even if it means moving F1 to a 3-day template?  I think adding Stretch would help me progress faster, but maybe I should just stick with the mobility exercises in F1 and H1.

I appreciate any advice. I'm new to this gymnastics thing. 

Alessandro Mainente

Probably I would add more mobility during the remaining days like on sat and wens , of course elements from F1, the weighted work of h1 is too intense to be  performed more frequently.

YOu can seriously evaluate to add a Stretch Course session depending on your limitations always on your free days.

Mark Collins

If mobility is your problem then you need to find time to do more. Stretch series is integral to getting ahead in Foundation.

Stephen Thayer

Thank you, Alessandro and Mark.  I think I'm going to go for it and buy the Stretch series.

Jeff Watkins

Thanks for this post. Can you update us with whether you got the stretch series and how you are working it in to your programming? Also, have you noticed it helping you move through F1? 

I'm in the same position. I started working on F1 on July 4th, and added H1 a couple of weeks later. Now I'm seriously considering adding the Stretch courses! I can't get enough GB--it's just the thing for which I've been looking for many years.

Stephen Thayer

I haven't purchased the stretch series yet. In fact, adding H1 to my F1 template turned out to be too much for me. I took it out this week. It was just hard for me to figure out how to make the time.  I work full-time and have 3 little kids.  I've tried getting up earlier, but then I drag through my workouts and feel tired the rest of the day.  I used to work out in my office during lunch, but the unpredictability of my work demands make that hard to keep up consistently. 

Luke Searra

For both of you guys I would prioritize stretch series for the meantime - for both time contraints and mobility constraints.

Jeff Watkins
16 minutes ago, Luke Searra said:

For both of you guys I would prioritize stretch series for the meantime - for both time contraints and mobility constraints.

I appreciate that guidance. I want to get started off in the right direction and do things in an efficient but also a smart and safe way.

Luke Searra

Yes absolutely. Please ask the forum coaches for advice at any time during your training.

Stephen Thayer
20 hours ago, Luke Searra said:

For both of you guys I would prioritize stretch series for the meantime - for both time contraints and mobility constraints.

Do you see a problem with focussing on the stretch series, but cherrypicking a few progressions from F1? Would this lead to unhealthy strength imbalances?

Luke Searra

Hi Stephen , I definitely see a problem with cherry picking progressions from F1. Less so if they were iM progressions only. F1 is very intelligently and purposefully structured by Coach Sommer to lead you step by step (while avoiding injury), to create strength and mobility. Please DO NOT cherry pick F1 progressions. Once you are more mobile and comfortable after becoming acquainted with the stretch series begin F1 methodically with NO cherry picking.

Jan Dochnal

Focusing on mobility is what i did recently and I still feel like getting a descent workout. I can realy recommend it. My schedule looks like the following:

Mo: H1+H2+MSs

Wed: Fl+sPl+Hbp+Rc+Tbs

Fr: Sl+Mn+Sls+FSs

If you have extra time and energy you could add another foundation workout to day 1 or make 1 of your workouts f7.

Jeff Watkins

I just want to follow up to say that I did purchase the Stretch series in addition to having Foundations and Handstand, and I can highly recommend it. My balance seems to already be improving and movements such as MN/PE1>iM are becoming easier and feel more controlled.

Thanks @Jan Dochnal for the suggestion of  your weekly template. 

Justin Rovtar

Stephen - I have found that this schedule balances everything out from all three programs.

Mon - F1

Tues- HS1 + Side Split Stretch

Wed - F1

Thurs- HS1 + front Split Stretch

Fri - F1

Sat - Thorasic Spine Stretch

Chris Scarborough

Interesting discussion.  I have thought about adding handstand 1 to F1.  it is great to hear thoughts on stretch series as I feel like mobility (or lack of it) is my greatest weakness. Please keep us updated on progress.  I'm trying to make up my mind what to do next (H1 vs a stretch program)

Chris

 

Jeff Watkins

Here is my current schedule, but I like what Justin posted and may try switching to that.

Mon  -  F4
Tues -  F3
Wed  -  Front splits,Thoracic Bridge
Thurs-  F4
Fri     -  F3
Sat    - HS
Sun   - Middle Splits (this is on Sunday because I have to pray to get through it!)  Haha

Chris Scarborough
2 hours ago, Jeff Watkins said:

Here is my current schedule, but I like what Justin posted and may try switching to that.

Mon  -  F4
Tues -  F3
Wed  -  Front splits,Thoracic Bridge
Thurs-  F4
Fri     -  F3
Sat    - HS
Sun   - Middle Splits (this is on Sunday because I have to pray to get through it!)  Haha

Jeff, are you intentionally taking steps back almost as recovery (F3 vs F4)??

did u do the same moving from F1 to F2?

great info, thx

Jeff Watkins

@Chris Scarborough,

No, I mean that I am doing 4 out of the 7 Foundations elements on Mon and Thurs, and the other 3 elements on Tuesday and Friday. So on Mon/Thurs I do: FL, sPL, HBP, and RC. On Tues/Fri I do: SL, MN, SLS.

By the way, if you have to choose between Stretch and Handstand at this point, I would recommend the stretch courses first.

Chris Scarborough

Gotcha.   I'm doing similar, 5 days each week, but only Foundations -- no extra stretching/handstand elements.  

Has the addition of the stretch courses helped you get over hump in any of the foundation elements you might have been stuck on?

Jeff Watkins

@Chris Scarborough Yes, although I have only been doing Foundations for about 2 months, I have noticed improvements in several of the integrated mobility exercises. My balance and range of motion is improving, which makes me feel like I'm getting more out of Foundations, including the RC element, but especially the integrated mobility exercises.

Stephen Thayer
On 7/28/2016 at 7:01 PM, Luke Searra said:

For both of you guys I would prioritize stretch series for the meantime - for both time contraints and mobility constraints.

After taking a break from GST for a while to train for a Spartan Race (i.e., running a lot), I've decided to take Luke's advice and prioritize the stretch series.  I'm doing a Tough Mudder in October, so I'm still going to keep running, but I've decided to replace strength training with the stretch series.  

Monday = middle splits 

Tuesday = running

Wednesday = front splits

Thursday = running

Friday = thoracic bridge

I have a history of taking on too much, burning out, and then falling off the wagon.  Trying to be wise this time.  Plus, after listening to Coach Sommer on Tim Ferriss's podcast I'm convinced that focusing on mobility/flexibility would be best for me right now. 

Carlo Romero

For those of you who integrating the Stretch Course into your Foundations & Handstand work, can you advise if you have been able to include routine progressions on Shoulder Disclocates and/or Jefferson Curls? It seems that many of Coach Sommer's podcasts mentions the value of progressively integrating weighted mobility exercises - two of the most valuable being Shoulder Dislocates and J-curls. I focus on these two as well since I recall they were described as being excellent rehabilitative / prehab tools - something I have been working on for sometime.

I am currently using the GB Pro+ which has some follow along videos that can take me through Shoulder Dislocate / shoulder mobility and J-curls series; however, they don't include a mastery template of progressions. It is challenging to come up with the right loads that can harmonize with F1 and HS1 workout loads (and it is hard to tell what made me more sore  . . . the F1 workout or trying some weighted mobility as a part of a warm up or cool down!).

I would greatly appreciate recommendations on what resources we can draw from to predictably integrate such exercises and/or if Stretch incorporates these two exercises. Or maybe I just need to set aside my interest in Shoulder Dislocates & J-curls and focus on other "prehab" work that is found in Stretch?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences; its great to get some community feedback.

Chris Scarborough

Thanks for those questions, Carlo. 

I was going to ask many of the same ones

Suzanna McGee

@Stephen Thayer  I started in a little bit reverse order… I started with H1… loved it, so two weeks later I got TB stretch… it's "horrible", ha ha, which means I love it because it is so good for me… now I am adding F1…  I definitely recommend the stretching elements. Because I go to the gym 5 days a week, too, I chose the most important stretching program for me at this point, which was TB, because I am really bad and bending backwards, while I have pretty  ok front split and am somehow flexible in the middle split. I know I will eventually add these courses too to get the gymnastic quality of them… But yes, add the stretching programs, you can only get better!!!!

Stephen Thayer

I completed my first week of the stretch series and it looks like this is going to take a while. I couldn't even finish TB.  I'm having to scale way back for most of the positions.  The extra videos with Wesley Tan are super helpful for that.  Pretty much anything like the rocking table or supine shoulder extension causes sharp pain in my elbows.  I have very little straight arm strength and my joints are not resilient.  I'm also not strong enough to hold some of the stretches for the required duration, so it looks like I won't be missing out on strength training by cutting out F1 and H1 after all :)