This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Beginning training with a neck injury?

Started by Chris Spletzer, June 28, 2016 · 1 Replies · 52 Views

Chris Spletzer
On 6/6/2016 at 6:33 PM, Eva Pelegrin said:

 

On 6/6/2016 at 6:33 PM, Eva Pelegrin said:

I don't do headstands that's for sure.

 

I have the nagging "age-related" cervical disc degeneration / straightening. I just started Handstand 1. I can do the first headstand (HS1), but my neck is tight / sore / impinged for the rest of the week. I'm very nervous to move onto HS2 or HS3, and worry it will be too taxing on my compromised neck. Is this something that I should sit on without any progression or can I just move on to HS4?

Cole Dano

@Chris Spletzer I spilt your comment form the original thread and moved it here to H1.

I wouldn't move forward in the Headstands until the symptoms you are experiencing in PE1 are gone. Even there make sure to get as much weight on your elbows as possible to mitigate the load on your neck as it adapts. 

All that is assuming your Dr has cleared you for doing this in the first place.

There is also the option of doing the HeS work on your shoulders using some version of a yoga headstand prop.