This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE 3

Started by Jeremy Aldridge, June 29, 2016 · 12 Replies · 204 Views

Jeremy Aldridge

Here is my HBP/ PE 3. My main question on this movement is, should my shoulders be depressed and protracted throughout the entire movement? I know that I am lacking a bit of shoulder extension which seem to prevent a full descent to the ground without losing form. Also, I feel like I am trying to keep as much of my bodyweight on my upper body, is this correct? Thanks everyone

 

Alessandro Mainente

Many refinements are needed:

-shoulders should be protracted at the top and they tend to move to neutral in the bottom. they are always depressed

-the starting position is a diagonal line so you need to move down while holding the body as a single unit. if done correctly the hips will reach the floor first, then hips, then shoulders. in your case hips never reach the floor. this because the hips are not opened but pike, this means that the beginning alignment is lost.

-a bit more of lean is necessary.

if you are in doubt I did a sort of frame analysis where with some dots i put some evidence on the details: head position at the end of every reps, forearm angles, hips opening , shoulders - ears distance to evaluate depression etc.

ppp evaluation.png

 

Jeremy Aldridge

I am way off, I am glad I asked so I can quit wasting time doing it wrong. So once this beginning set up is achieved and the body is moving as a unit, should the strength element be mainly felt in the depressed shoulders?

Alessandro Mainente

Depression occurs in order to stabilize the shoulders, the major effort should be perceived in anterior shoulder and tricep.

Jeremy Aldridge

Thanks for all your help with these last few exercise questions I have had Alessandro. I will work on them and report back.

Eva Pelegrin

Golden post Alessandro! How does one determine how much of spinal flexion is allowed at the starting position. I find that as I try to lean forward in my PL, my spinal flexion gets increasingly harder to sustain. I know I'm still very weak in this element, just curious as what to continue to focus on in order to strengthen the proper position.

Jeremy Aldridge

Eva, so today was my HBP day and holy cow was that extremely hard when I made the changes. I literally got 2 reps on the 1st set and failed on the next two sets. I noticed that the only way to hold the position without piking at the hips like I was, I had to squeeze my core harder and harder but that caused me to lean more forward but to the point I was almost falling forward. I just moved on after the 3 sets prescribed but at the end of my workout I did extra holds. This really shows me how weak my mid back and traps truly are because they were on fire. Lol! Keep me posted with your progress please.

Alessandro, would you agree that just holding the leaned position is best after burn out to increase straight arm strength for this movement? The 2 reps I did get on the first set I felt a huge difference in the movement and actually could feel the body in the correct position.  

Petri Widsten

Where are you in your sPL progression? The lean is PE5 and if you train it with a greater lean (and good form, of course) than what you use for HBP PE3 you'll progress faster in the latter.

Jeremy Aldridge

I am on sPL/ PE 3. I knew the lean was coming in this movement but since I got to this movement first and didn't have enough strength to this properly with enough lean a  hold was all I could think to do. Or negatives I guess. 

Eva Pelegrin

@Alessandro Mainente the pictures you posted above are amazingly helpful! Is that you in the picture or one of your students? Great form btw. I can't stop looking at how the curvature of his spine matches the wooden frame in the mirror. I'm sure it wasn't intentional but the shape of the mirror turns out to be a great educational tool that's making me think how to improve my PL.

I noticed that when I do planche leans the upper spinal flexion is increasingly harder to sustain the more I lean forward. Also if I try to accentuate more flexion (while performing the PL hold) it almost seems as I'm curling my chest backwards (inwards) and thus feels like I'm not leaning as much. How does one determine how much spinal flexion is allowed/desirable. Of course, I will post my own form check, but I thought that Jeremy or others might benefit from hearing your answer for the entry position of HPB/PE3. After all, if we can't nail the entry (static position) nothing else that follows will be right...
 

Alessandro Mainente

The best thing when doing skills for the first time is watch something around you in the video and take these things as a reference to reflect on body shape, leaning, alignment etc. when reps tend to be perfect you have no longer the necessity of video record.

The guys in the photo it's me, some time ago. but It might well have been one of my students...usually I require my same standards.

Jeremy Aldridge
4 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

@Alessandro Mainente the pictures you posted above are amazingly helpful! Is that you in the picture or one of your students? Great form btw. I can't stop looking at how the curvature of his spine matches the wooden frame in the mirror. I'm sure it wasn't intentional but the shape of the mirror turns out to be a great educational tool that's making me think how to improve my PL.

I noticed that when I do planche leans the upper spinal flexion is increasingly harder to sustain the more I lean forward. Also if I try to accentuate more flexion (while performing the PL hold) it almost seems as I'm curling my chest backwards (inwards) and thus feels like I'm not leaning as much. How does one determine how much spinal flexion is allowed/desirable. Of course, I will post my own form check, but I thought that Jeremy or others might benefit from hearing your answer for the entry position of HPB/PE3. After all, if we can't nail the entry (static position) nothing else that follows will be right...
 

Eva, do u notice they more you compress the more you tend to lean forward? I read the post from Dillion Zrike about scapulae position in the lean and he mentions to try and squeeze your shoulders together in front of you and something about that cue when I tried it standing up itreally helped me to lock it in. But when I do it on the ground I am still really locked in and it brings me forward nicely but it's hard for me to not keep falling forward after a little bit. Is this kind of what you are talking about? 

@Alessandro Mainente is this the same lean position for the HBP. I really feel it like you described. But what is the main difference in the sPL lean and HBP as far as shoulder stability is concerned? 

Eva Pelegrin

No but thanks. I was asking about something else. 'Spinal flexion' just means your upper back is curved a bit like when doing a crunch. That's hard for me but you already got that.;)