This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Coach Sommer- routine advice

Started by David Belcher, June 29, 2016 · 6 Replies · 363 Views

David Belcher

Coach,

im getting started with my first time through the fundamentals. I'm new to GST but have a lot of workout experience with D1 college football and was an Airborne Ranger for about 10 years.  I'm used to working out 60-90 minutes a day but I'm wondering what my workout routine should look like if I'm going to make a full switch to GST. 

What I've been doing is just adding each daily movement to a total workout list and just do each movement and repeating it around 3 times each for a workout, kind of like a circuit.

Sound I maintain cardio? Running, swimming..

What type of volume should I maintain with the exercises the mobility? Is it possible to stretch too much? 

Is it ok to continue doing push ups, pull ups, dips, even through I have mobility issues in crab/ape etc?

Thanks Coach!

David

Wayne Smith

Have you read through the other posts in this forum?

Alessandro Mainente

If you are completely new to GST follow strictly fundamental , its elements and its structure.

David Belcher

Yes- I've read posts in the forum.

So you're saying a daily routine should be to just continue to do the fundamentals until I'm proficient?

 

Mark Collins

You will continue to improve with Fundamentals for years. You can keep up with your other cardio and strength work with Fundamentals. Once you start Foundation you can then workout what you need to drop. If you want to do pure GST then you will drop all other strength work and keep in the cardio.

Jon Douglas
On 01/07/2016 at 7:41 AM, David Belcher said:

Yes- I've read posts in the forum.

So you're saying a daily routine should be to just continue to do the fundamentals until I'm proficient?

 

Honestly- yes.

This is a diagnostic and baseline, and a cram course in GST training. Immediately on finishing, the next step is Foundation and Handstand-- 8 distinct streams of detailed training. You will get your fill of work as the volume mounts.

There is certainly nothing wrong with you doing the PT you are used to in the interim. Use your discretion in erring on the side of lower volume while gradually subbing in GST movements for whatever you are currently doing; after 10 years hard training you will have enough training knowledge to do this intelligently. Mobility should be your priority to counteract the milage, particularly in shoulders and hips/knees.

Do your Fundamentals first and ensure those are quality; add PT to that, not the other way around. We will get you sweating soon.

David Belcher

Yes- I've read posts in the forum.

So you're saying a daily routine should be to just continue to do the fundamentals until I'm proficient?