This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can I test Mastery whenever I want?

Started by Jeffrey Bailey, June 28, 2016 · 14 Replies · 325 Views

Jeffrey Bailey

Hi all,

I understand testing mastery when beginning a new progression. Is it advised to test Mastery whenever you feel you can make it, or only as a placement test at the beginning of a progression?

For example, you are placed in Step 1 after testing for mastery, initially. Around Step 3 or so, you realize you've had poor form or are crushing Step 3 for whatever reason. Is it okay to test for Mastery again, and move on if passed?

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

I have a strong doubt that if a person perform a first test he stops at week 3, and the following he moves to week 10. probably the form was different or completely wrong. Do one test and no more, if you need more test to adjust 10 thousand form details probably :

-the previous motor pattern ais not enough fixed in your brain and it needs to be revisited

-you did not watched carefully the video demonstration.

Jeffrey Bailey
8 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

I have a strong doubt that if a person perform a first test he stops at week 3, and the following he moves to week 10. probably the form was different or completely wrong. Do one test and no more, if you need more test to adjust 10 thousand form details probably :

-the previous motor pattern ais not enough fixed in your brain and it needs to be revisited

-you did not watched carefully the video demonstration.

Thanks, Alessandro. 

I wouldn't think it would be too uncommon to have poor form when performing the first Mastery test, as this is close to the first time performing the exercise. Even with the videos, which are great, it can take some time or a post in the Form Check forum to get it right. I have had a couple situations where the incorrect form I was performing was making the exercise harder. Then, after getting guidance on the Form Check forum, the exercise was being performed correctly and was actually much easier.

Alessandro Mainente

Yes but depends on the exercise. exercise of the same families like push ups have the same fixed details, same for hspu types or dips variation. I can accept your situation when passing from one family to another.

Tyson Rogers

I was wondering the same thing. My mastery test button is greyed out, so I don't have this option in the middle of a cycle. Will it be available again when I move on to the next element?

Joshua Giza

How often should you test?

 

Edward Kasper

On a similar note, does the program automatically test for mastery when you have been able to work up to that point or do you have to schedule it yourself?

Jon Douglas

 Test once, then work up through the steps as appropriate until you have demonstrated mastery. It's kidding yourself to think that you gained actual strength in a couple weeks even if you can suddenly hit the rep count; this represents no more than getting practice at the movement, which will be lost just as fast when you stop training it.

This is a lesson I learnt hard and I recommend you benefit from other peoples trial and error to save much time :)

Eva Pelegrin

One thing to consider is that the end game is not to test for mastery or when to test for mastery.... The point is to get there and OWN your reps/sec/sets. Because without that "brick" you won't be able to lay down the next one. 

First time you hit those numbers it's nice but you'll never own them, much less retain them, unless you hang out at mastery level for a while. Read weeks, months, if not years for some elements. 

Once I get to mastery numbers I continue to practice the element until my perceived level of effort goes down to "hey, this is not that hard anymore" and I feel I can do it with a certain ease. Almost like I need to maintain a certain degree of struggle in order to feel challenged and once that's gone, it's time to move on.

Of course with some element the road to mastery seems light years away, which is why I prefer to think in terms of "I'll achieve mastery whenever I get there."

Don't get too caught up with numbers as they may shadow the more rewarding experience of aquiring new skills.

Chris Maudlin

If you want to stay at mastery for awhile to "own" it, how do you report it in the system so it doesn't advance you?

Ryan Reynolds

Reset it on Monday or put it in as one rep short.

Edgar Hernandez Celli

you can also uncheck the mobility so that it shows that you didn't compete it.

Mark Anderson
8 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

One thing to consider is that the end game is not to test for mastery or when to test for mastery.... The point is to get there and OWN your reps/sec/sets. Because without that "brick" you won't be able to lay down the next one. 

First time you hit those numbers it's nice but you'll never own them, much less retain them, unless you hang out at mastery level for a while. Read weeks, months, if not years for some elements. 

Once I get to mastery numbers I continue to practice the element until my perceived level of effort goes down to "hey, this is not that hard anymore" and I feel I can do it with a certain ease. Almost like I need to maintain a certain degree of struggle in order to feel challenged and once that's gone, it's time to move on.

Of course with some element the road to mastery seems light years away, which is why I prefer to think in terms of "I'll achieve mastery whenever I get there."

Don't get too caught up with numbers as they may shadow the more rewarding experience of aquiring new skills.

Eva:

That is pure gold.  As I near mastery in some of the elements (all at PE1 for now), I am beginning feel the old competitive accomplishment tension => "complete" Step 9 at all costs to be able to move on.  The mindset you espouse is perfect: if you get there, stay there for awhile until the perceived level of effort starts to decrease.  Not only is that what mastery really means, it relieves that tension.  Now to put it into practice...

Mark

Joshua Giza
8 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

One thing to consider is that the end game is not to test for mastery or when to test for mastery.... The point is to get there and OWN your reps/sec/sets. Because without that "brick" you won't be able to lay down the next one. 

First time you hit those numbers it's nice but you'll never own them, much less retain them, unless you hang out at mastery level for a while. Read weeks, months, if not years for some elements. 

Once I get to mastery numbers I continue to practice the element until my perceived level of effort goes down to "hey, this is not that hard anymore" and I feel I can do it with a certain ease. Almost like I need to maintain a certain degree of struggle in order to feel challenged and once that's gone, it's time to move on.

Of course with some element the road to mastery seems light years away, which is why I prefer to think in terms of "I'll achieve mastery whenever I get there."

Don't get too caught up with numbers as they may shadow the more rewarding experience of aquiring new skills.

This is a great perspective. I especially like the brick analogy. Thank you.

Eva Pelegrin

@Mark Andersen My morning ramblings out loud:) it never ceases to amaze me how our mindsets and preconceived notions are often a greater obstacle than our present physical capabilities...

@Joshua Giza you're most welcome. Always great to meet and learn form other students working on the same "bricks." :)