This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Work Capacity

Started by Daniel Miles, June 28, 2016 · 6 Replies · 241 Views

Daniel Miles

Hi GST community!

I want to pick your brains with something! 

On most progressions I'm doing at the moment, I seem to be very inconsistent during the sets. First set always feels moderate, then second set will dramatically decrease, followed by a fairly consistent amount for following sets.

heres an example:

FL PE2 

1st Set: 48 Reps  2nd Set: 30 reps  3rd Set: 25 reps   4th Set 25 reps

im sticking to the amount of rest as shown in the GB pro follow along vids. 

I progressed to the step with 48x4 as easily managed the step before, but since it seems to have got worse, even after a couple of deload weeks. 

The same happens with RC/PE1 

1st Set: 12 reps    2nd set: 10reps    3rd Set: 7 reps    4th set: 6 reps 

i feel like it could be a work capacity issue as first set always feels fairly easy, but so much burning and fatigue follows the next sets. I don't really know what strategy to adopt at the moment ! 

any advice guys!?

 

thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

This is exactly where the work capacity needs improvements. the logic idea is trying to do more from training to training. the ability to do more could be perceived in different ways:

-more reps

-more seconds

-one more set added

-same reps and same sets but definitely less effort to do them.

Daniel Miles

Yeah I thought so! 

Just need to find a strategy that allows me to reach higher numbers progressively rather then feel like I'm moving backwards! 

Eva Pelegrin

Yes, incremental progression is the trick. No secret here. Try not to overshoot upfront in the first set. For example in RC/PE1, you could try:

8,8,8,8,8 – that would be 40 total reps, which is 5 more reps total than what you're doing now (35) :)

if easy, next session:
9,9,9,9,9 or 9,9,9,8,8 or 9,9,8,8,8 – 5, 4, 3 more reps than your previous session and so on. 

Another strategy that works for me to build reps is adding a 5-8 sec pause +2 reps right after each set. Not easy:
9+2, 9+2, 9+2, 9+2, 9+2
I don't count those 2 reps! I see them as a form of "padding" (buying work capacity) that may allow me to do 10 full reps on my next session. This worked well for me with my ring rows. 

Jon Douglas

I do a similar thing with my freestanding hspu variants-- only counting perfect to dictate which step I am on, but happy to get in more volume afterwards. Even if its just seeing how many perfect singles i can put in in a 10min post workout block.

The important thing is not to lock yourself mentally into stopping at a particular number. Keep aiming to improve, in some way, in every workout, even if this is just a lower perceived level of exertion as Ale says. Keep fighting.

Daniel Miles

Great thanks for the advice guys!

wI'll do my best to break past those plateaus! 

Tanya Hill

Daniel, 

The plateaus will surprise you! Let us know if we can assist you further.