This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstands and scap positions, cues

Started by Alexander Castiglione, June 28, 2016 · 7 Replies · 178 Views

Alexander Castiglione

Hey GB, 

So I'm chasing a solid freestanding handstand, and working progressions to get there, since I'm kind of stuck at Headstand pushups (freestanding). Obviously I need to refine my handstand, as that's what I'm pressing into. 

I've been doing wall handstands and wall runs to try and acclimate my muscles to staying tight and aligned, but I seem to have an issue whenever i get to around 45-50 seconds. After a couple sets, I break down - especially when I try and "slightly protract" - see below. 

What I've been doing against the wall: 

Pointed Toes 

PPT 

Keeping my hands at about shoulder width, heel of the hand max 3 inches from the wall, some days I get closer. As far as width, I find the closer my hands are the better my balance freestanding so I try to keep no wider than shoulder width 

Now when it comes to scap position, i read somewhere either here or on GB's facebook that i should be "slightly protracted" to have "open shoulders" and this is where I'm getting confused. What should my scapular position be? I thought it was supposed to be elevated and retracted - IE shrug into the floor, and maintain trap tension by retraction - but the slightly protracted bit threw me for a loop. 

Also, I'm having a tough time finding that balance point in freestanding. I max out at 5-10s before I fall over. Anybody have some cues or success stories? 

I usually train alone, but I know handstand dominoes can be helpful. Does anybody have some drills or cues I can run solo. 

My ultimate goal here is a press to handstand, but I need to get the handstand bit down pat first lol. 

Thanks for any help you can offer! 

Milos Janic

You read it correct, you want to have elevation and protraction while in handstand. Pushing the ground hard while hollowing your chest should get you there. It's important to have this scapula position not only for handstand but also for all kind of press variations and further progressions. Hope this helps

Milos

Alexander Castiglione
10 minutes ago, Milos Janic said:

You read it correct, you want to have elevation and protraction while in handstand. Pushing the ground hard while hollowing your chest should get you there. It's important to have this scapula position not only for handstand but also for all kind of press variations and further progressions. Hope this helps

Milos

Thanks Milos - that helps. Now a follow up question - how much protraction are we talking relatively? like 50% of what I would hit for a planche lean? Or waaay less dramatic like 10%? 

Alessandro Mainente

Protraction should be as much as possible with full elevation.

Of course if you have extremely poor shoulders mobility you cannot expect to being able to protract during handstand.

What you are doing (headstand pushup) it is not a progression for handstand.

My suggestion is follow the course of Handstand One. you do not need something more.

Alexander Castiglione

Thanks for the tip. 
I'm aware, I just got stuck at freestand headstand pushup in HBP progressions, so obviously I need to get a solid freestanding handstand first. I could get maybe 1 rep, then I'd fall apart. Coach told me to get my handstand dialed in. 

Which is why I backtracked and am now ardently chasing that goal. My shoulder mobility is pretty good - not great but enough to protract a decent amount - the "hollow chest" cue makes sense to me, I'll try it out tomorrow and see how it goes. 

Alessandro Mainente

Can you perform bridge?

Alexander Castiglione
1 minute ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Can you perform bridge?

Yes - elevated with straight legs. On the ground I can lock out my arms, but haven't quite graduated to straight legs yet. 

Alessandro Mainente

I will continue this discussion if necessary on the private forum of handstand One development.