This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Front Pull - Scales and cues?

Started by Alexander Castiglione, June 28, 2016 · 3 Replies · 255 Views

Alexander Castiglione

Hey GB, 

I had a question for you guys regarding multiple facets of front pulls. I recently got pretty good with negative front pulls (about 5 second descent, not great, but exhibited control) and took a couple weeks off to nurse a tweaked bicep courtesy of an armbar while sparring. 

Now with front pulls, I'm having an issue with piking at the hips or form breaking down completely. I reverted back to doing negatives - but am wondering once I get those down again, which shouldn't take too long - if there is a scale for Front Pulls? 

Should I do them one legged? Straddled? 

Also, if somebody could please go over some cues, that'd be immensely helpful. I've been concentrating on my PPT, but wondering what my scap position should be - my guess is I should be slightly retracted and depressed while hanging, then achieve a modicum of protraction as I go through the movement - is that correct? 

Thanks in advance

Alexander Castiglione

I understand that, but my issue is trying to figure out why I can do negatives, but when doing a front pull, my form breaks. Maybe I just need to get more reps in at the proper progression? 

Eva Pelegrin
42 minutes ago, Zach Armijo said:

everything needs to work from 0 to 100...rather than 100 to 0 with tension already set in the negative. 

Noted!

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Just putting the information out there... If someone trains FL/PE14 for a few 12 week cycles your shoulder muscles become strong enough to start doing a front lever pull at the beginning of and a negative front lever pull at the end of each FL/PE14 set.