This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Step Progression Problem

Started by Gary MacLeod, June 27, 2016 · 12 Replies · 338 Views

Gary MacLeod

Hi all,

I started the Foundation program last week, and when I have clicked 'Start Workout' and then logged and saved all my reps and sets, it shows as in the attached picture. The steps do not progress for the next workout. I wondered if this was the way the system was designed, and I needed to do the same sets and reps 2 workouts in a row for some reason, but as you can see today (27th) after logging my workout, it didn't update them again for the 29th and 1st. Should this be happening or do I need to update them myself manually every time? 

Thanks,
Gary

Untitled.jpg

Cory Fair

Hi Gary,

It looks like you did your mastery testing last week and so only had one workout with those steps. That isn't enough to bump on to a new step so the system will advance after this week. :) 

Gary MacLeod

Hi Cory,

I did have the mastery testing last week. After that, I did 4 exercises on the Friday (as I had it set up as a split format), and I changed this week to 3 days with the full 7 elements. I did the exact same workout today as I did on Friday essentially (same reps and sets). Should I update the Wednesday and Friday steps this week myself in the meantime, so I'm not doing the same steps 100% successfully for 4 days in a row? And if I do that, will it still start to automatically adjust the steps next week or will this somehow break it? Thanks!

Cory Fair

Your schedule is correct. One workout for a step is not enough to move one. Stick with the workouts this week as shown in your course. While it's natural for all new students to want to bump on as quickly as possible, the better approach is to maximize what you can get from each workout. There will be plenty of challenge soon enough.

Gary MacLeod

Understood. Thanks. One thing to note on the Incline Pushups, I never have any problem with push ups of any kind at any angle my entire life, and had no problem with 4x12 last Friday, but today for some reason, I felt a sharp pain somewhere in my elbow as the first set continued. I called it quits after 2 reps on the 2nd set. No pain as soon as I stop, only after my chest hits the bar and moving back up. Given this occurred, should I be lowering the step I'm on so I don't do any damage in workouts this week? I know I shouldn't really be touching the steps like you said, but is going backward allowed?

I know Coach Sommer says pain is something that remains after you stop a set, whereas general aches diminish once completing a set, and that is how you tell the difference, but this pain also stops as soon as I stop. Does this seem like something that might disappear by next workout?

Cory Fair

Dialing back if needed is never an issue. :) 

Did the issue only occur on that one instance or does it persist if you attempt any HBP/PE1 reps?

Gary MacLeod

It occurred half way through the first set, but I pushed on for another 6 reps, then on the second set it was still there in the first 2 reps, and I called it quits. I could have pushed on, but I know proper pain rather than lactic build up etc. A sort of short stabbing pain, very isolated like a pin prick. It occurred somewhere in my elbow, but not in the crook of the elbow, further toward the rear I think.

Coach Sommer
3 hours ago, Gary MacLeod said:

It occurred half way through the first set, but I pushed on for another 6 reps,

Hi Gary,

Pushing thru joint pain was a poor decision.  And unfortunately an all too common one.

When the 'joint pain' first occurred is when the set should have been terminated.  And then continuing onward for six more repetitions and then attempting an additional set on top of this simply made the situation worse.

Also your struggling with the mastery workout means that it was not truly mastery, but rather a max effort for you.  My recommendation is to allow the elbow to rest for a week and then dial your workout back several steps.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Gary MacLeod

Hi Coach,

Thanks. The only reason I continued was because it wasn't so much a huge pain that was unbearable, but just a sort of irritant, almost like a nerve or something was being hit. I wondered if it would work itself out in the next couple of reps (I adjusted my hand placement on the banister to check). The second set was terminated early because I realised the short break with the mobility work hadn't made any difference.

I have stopped weightlifting this week also to focus on Foundation. I'm sure I have tight biceps, and I'm possibly one of the most inflexible people you've ever seen, so I'm sure it's all linked, but I'm working on it daily. Listening to your many interviews and podcasts has changed my view on a lot, so I'm starting ground up. I just didn't expect to be going backward on this exercise when pushups have pretty much always been a bread and butter exercise of mine.

I'll avoid this particular element for the rest of the week and then dial back a little starting next week.

Kind regards,
Gary

Gary MacLeod

Hi again all,

I just completed the 2nd week of the course, which unlocked the progressions/steps etc for next week, but I still have the same problem. All the steps have stayed the same, even the ones that I got 100% on. Below, I have attached the 1st Week details (attempting Mastery when I got the program), the 2nd Week details (just completed this week today), and the newly unlocked Next Week details. 

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Gary

1st Week.jpg

2nd Week.jpg

Next Week.jpg

Gary MacLeod

Thanks, Cory. I forgot about that. Sorry for the time waste on typing that!

Cory Fair

Never a waste of time to ask for help, that's how you make progress.