This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Day 8 Oblique Trunk Rotation

Started by Robert Ladd, June 27, 2016 · 1 Replies · 105 Views

Robert Ladd

Greetings! Just a simple question about the lying oblique trunk rotation. I love this movement but I noticed in the video they advise the hand position as keeping the palms down on the floor. One of the other major pointers is to keep the rear of the shoulders touching the floor as you move your legs side to side. I am sure there is a good reason for the palm down approach as most of these movements are very well thought out. I just found that I when I have my palms up with the back of my hands touching the floor, thereby externally rotating my shoulders, that they stay back grounded to the floor in a more natural way. I just wanted to know if this is an option or if the palms down serves another function not mentioned in the video that ties into future progressions. Thank you!

 

-Robert

Grace Rockwell

Robert,

Most of the time, this is a shoulder mobility issue. Internally rotating the arms while still pressing the scaps into the floor requires more shoulder mobility that having palms up. For the sake of the trunk rotation it doesn't make much difference, but I recommend practicing with palms down, as this will improve your shoulder mobility in the process!

Grace