This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rings at home

Started by James Foxall, June 27, 2016 · 5 Replies · 130 Views

James Foxall

First of all Coach Sommer's and team thanks so much for this course content. Heard about it from the Tim Ferriss Podcast and absolutely loving it. Feeling the best I have in years, and really enjoying the increased mobility - i'm a basketballer and i haven't shot this well in about 10 years due to fixing a long standing shoulder issue (thought i was just getting old!)

Apologies if this question has been asked, i couldn't find an answer on the forums. I'm on to the Foundation One program and do these at home. I don't have any rings, and was wondering if you have any advise on a good substitute set-up. If not no problems, just thought you might have some on-hand references.

Thanks again for the great program - loving it!

Jimmy - Australia

Alessandro Mainente

The rings exercise provides the necessary grip modifications during the pulling movement. so they have not a real alternative.

Cole Dano

A down and dirty way to make a DIY set up is to slide a short length of PVC pipe over a of tie down strap. This will get you through the first pulling elements in F1. 

Marcus Patterson

Rings are dirt cheap, just buy some!

Kelby O'Shea

Hey James,

I'm in Australia as well! I'm thinking the subtext of your question is not so much the rings but where to hook them up? I rent and I don't have a pull-up bar or similar body weight baring structure I can use. I go to my local park that has chin-up bars and do my foundations workout there on days with ring work.  I got mine from hart sports (they also have a website and online store) and they have easy to adjust straps for moving them about. Failing that I'm sure you can find a park with a playground or some monkey bars or something. Just look around you and I'm sure you'll be able to find a space to do your rings work.

William Trask

D-Ring with Bracket

SPAX Lag Screw

 

I rent as well. Using a stud finder, I decided to make four small holes in the ceiling. The bracket and screw and rope I use have ~400lbs load strength. I'm using some Rock climbing pull-up grips I had laying around. Since I'm 160lbs and am not doing inversions it should hold up while I build the ring strength.

 

This is my short term solution to mounting rings.