This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Flexibility keeps fluctuating, getting frustrated

Started by Arthur Wong, June 27, 2016 · 2 Replies · 218 Views

Arthur Wong

I have done the splits quite a few times now, however, I noticed that one week I may be able to do it and then the next I am 4 inches away from the ground.

I know many things can affect this such as my warm up, hydration, etc, but it's been many months now and I have yet to be able to do the splits for one month straight. My flexibility keeps wavering from being able to do it, to being a few inches away.

Just 3 weeks ago I did my best front splits to date. The following week I was again a few inches away. One week later (today) I was getting closer, but still couldn't feel my calf on the floor.

A part of me feels like maybe I peaked too hard 3 weeks ago. Idk. My daily limbering is definitely not overstretching.

I know flexibility is to be measured in months not weeks, but I did my first front splits nearly one year ago... It's driving me crazy. I just want to be able to have a solid, relaxed front splits on limbering days and get it out of the way to focus on other stuff.

Alessandro Mainente

It takes time, I experimented it with the middle split, one month ago I did my first oversplit, now I'm back to my range of motion (2-3 cm from the split).

lots of factor, first of all the stimulation of the SNC, if we do not push a bit more everytime there are low possibilities to gain more rom, flexibility is the other face of strenght work, if you do it right for a certain amount of tim the body will adapt, but it is enough to push a little but less then the previous sessions that we can make some steps backward. it is totally fine!

Keegan Yentsch

Don't take my word as any authority, but I was experiencing similar fluctuations in my flexibility gains until I started treating the stretches as long duration low intensity "active" stretches.

So, for example for the standing pike stretch I actively contract my hip flexors and quads to pull my legs and torso together, but since I am holding the contraction for 2 minutes at a time the contraction is a sub-maximal, long duration one rather than a short duration maximal intensity one.

i have noticed that in ROMs where I am the most lacking my Agonists tend to be quite weak (sometimes leading to cramping when I first started treating my stretches in this manner) or I had a hard time getting them to contract at all (poor neuromuscular control). Since starting this method though (on my third week) the cramping has mostly if not completely disappeared and/or my neuromuscular control has improved greatly, my muscular endurance has steadily improved, the positions are all feeling more "natural," none of the stretches feel like I am pushing too hard (since they are limited by my ability to move myself into them using my agonists) and best of all my flexibility gains have all been concrete and have steadily improved.

Maybe you are already doing this, but if not might be worth a try. Or maybe Coach, Alessandro, or one of the other forum coaches have something to say about it.

Hope this helps.