This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Opinion: Programming Time by Sessions versus by Week

Started by Callum Muntz, June 26, 2016 · 4 Replies · 128 Views

Callum Muntz

G'day everyone,

What are your thoughts on timing Foundation programming by session instead of by week. Here is an example:

By Week: On a four day split, you complete four sessions in a week (i.e. every seven days), then deload every fourth week

By Session: On a four day split, you complete four sessions, not necessarily within a week (i.e. within seven days), then deload once you have completed 12 sessions.

The idea sparked with me because I have a varied and infrequent work requirement, which sometimes leads to not completing every session programmed per week. Sometimes I run a 'catch up' session on Sundays, but I am considering that instead of working 'week to week' I should just work 'session to session'. If it takes me four weeks to do what would ordinarily be programmed for three weeks, I don't see any detriment. The caveat here is that stimulus is sufficient to continue to force adaptation - which I believe is easily measurable; simply continue to track progress.

I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts and if anyone else is doing something similar? 

 

Here is an example of what I am talking about, going through a complete cycle.

'Week' 1 - only managed to fit in three sessions

Day 1: Upper Body Split 1 (Step 1)

Day 2: Lower Body Split 1 (Step 1)

Day 3: Upper Body Split 2 (Step 1)

'Week' 2 - fit in four sessions

Day 1: Lower Body Split 2 (Step 1)

Day 2: Upper Body Split 1 (Step 2)

Day 3: Lower Body Split 1 (Step 2)

Day 4: Upper Body Split 2 (Step 2)

'Week' 3 - again only managed to fit in three sessions

Day 1: Lower Body Split 2 (Step 2)

Day 2: Upper Body Split 1 (Step 3)

Day 3: Lower Body Split 1 (Step 3)

'Week' 4 

Day 1: Upper Body Split 2 (Step 3)

Day 2: Lower Body Split 2 (Step 3)

Day 3: Upper Body Split 1 (Step 4 - deload)

Day 4: Lower Body Split 1 (Step 4 - deload)

'Week' 5

Day 1: Upper Body Split 2 (Step 4 - deload)

Day 2: Lower Body Split 2 (Step 4 - deload)

Day 3: Upper Body Split 1 (Step 5)

... and so on

Julian Aldag

What counts as Lower body?  Can you do F7 in 2 sessions a week?

 

Callum Muntz
1 hour ago, Julian Aldag said:

What counts as Lower body?  What counts as Lower body?

 

What counts as Lower body? might be old terminology - but lower body is Side Lever, Manna and Single Leg Squat

What counts as Lower body? time and recovery are against me on this one at the moment

Julian Aldag

Got it. 

The "by week" programming is much cleaner, but I doubt it really matters. Do your best with the time you have :)

 

Cole Dano

I don't think the by session idea is needed for your situation. Since you are consistently able to get in 3 sessions per week, use that as your base schedule and if you have a week with more time, just slip in an extra session.