This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Yogurt for breakfast

Started by Fabio Genesoni, June 25, 2016 · 9 Replies · 261 Views

Fabio Genesoni

Hi Jeff,

quick question, is 250 grams of a yogurt with 3.8% / 4% fat enough for breakfast fat requirement or I have to add something else?

If it doesn't meet the requirement my option is to add about 2/3 table spoons of whipping cream (about 25% fat I think, I'm going by memory on this).

Thanks

Jeff Serven

Hi Fabio, 

how do you feel after that amount of yogurt? 

Is whipped cream the same thing as heavy cream? 

Fabio Genesoni

Double post, sorry.

 

 

Fabio Genesoni
5 minutes ago, Fabio Genesoni said:

I feel full and sometime even slightly nauseated for the first half hour or so, but please note that before Thrive I used to eat a classic Italian breakfast made of 1 croissant and 1 espresso sweetened with white sugar, or sometime I even skipped breakfast altogether.

In the morning I am rarely hungry. Having said that, I had no problem changing habits and I'm feeling much better. :)

I generally become really hungry in the evening at dinner. If we were to use a hunger scale from 1 to 10, in the morning I'm at 3, at lunch 6 and at dinner 9.

As for the cream I think a better translation would be heavy cream, so yes. I post a picture for reference.

On the left the yogurt and on the right heavy cream.

Fat=grassi

Thanks for your time.

 

img2.jpg

img1.jpg

 

Jeff Serven

Going to that breakfast is a huge macronutrient change. You are going from eating basically sugar to yogurt. Ease into it. Your guts metabolic machinery is probably having a hard time with it. 

You can eat a small something two different times in the morning to avoid that feeling

Fabio Genesoni

Ok, thank you.

Jeff Serven

Post back in 2 weeks on this

Fabio Genesoni

OK

Fabio Genesoni

Jeff, I made some experiment with Kefir and I fell in love with it ah ah. Much better than yogurt on my stomach. I can eat how much I want and no problem digesting it. The only problem is that I can't find a full fat kefir at an affordable price.

For example:

keifir from organic milk at 1.5% fat sells at € 3,30 /KG (the blu 400g bottle on the photo)

keifir from organic milk at 3.5% fat sells at € 8,28 /KG (the white and green little 250g bottle on the right)

Crazy, isn't it?

IMG_20160711_184304234_HDR.jpg

 

 

I will not pay so much more for 2% fat difference.

Is it ok if I drink the 400g bottle of keifir and add to it about 50 ml of heavy cream (36% fat)?

IMG_20160712_241942831_HDR.jpg

Jeff Serven

Yea, thats expensive. 

The way they rate the "%" system is funky. Its not 2% more fat its milk fat by weight. 

Heavy cream is basically milk fat. I believe in Italy its real cream where as in America its somewhere between cream and milk. Anyway, cream is not fermented, people with lactose or casein issues will have a harder time with it.