This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Single bar dip form checks (overgrip and undergrip)

Started by Petri Widsten, June 25, 2016 · 6 Replies · 148 Views

Petri Widsten

For me a busy day with HBP: PE3 for 5x5, PE6 for 5x5 and finally these two sets to check form. I've done lots of these before with overgrip but this is the first time with undergrip. Comments on form appreciated.

 

Petri Widsten

Anyone?

Jon Douglas

Yo. Sorry, i was traveling :)

Bit too much swing in your overgrip reps, and make sure you get to sternum minimum. Opening that pike up some more, and minimizing the lean forward will help this.

Noticeably too shallow in undergrip; you are leaning your chest down to the bar rather than lowering your whole body. These have a bit to go yet.

 

Best course right now would be to work those overgrip reps with a more straight body. If necessary tweak the volume to build shallow reps with a straight body before building back up with full ROM :)

Petri Widsten

Thanks for the feedback, Jon. I wasn't aware that the body should be quite straight - I'll fix that and re-post. The bar was quite loose laterally and caused me to swing on some reps so I'll see if I can stabilise it.

Jon Douglas

It doesn't need to be perfectly straight, although the upper body should not be too far off, but somewhat more open than you have there. Its temptingyou to swing on opening a bit.

 

Petri Widsten

@Jon Douglas

Hi Jon

Take 2 of overgrip. How are depth (just below pecs now) and lean? Pretty sure I can get 5x5 with this form. Strenghtwise these are not hard but getting around that bar is a bit tricky - my torso is quite straight now but I have to bring my legs forward. So should I do mastery or work on the form some more?

The bar still rattles like crazy and causes some instability. Is this normal for PBs? The Smith machine bar doesn't have this problem.

 

Petri Widsten

Second set added (I did 5x5). In this one I avoid contact with the bar but legs go more forward than in the previous one.

Re the iM, our cat likes to train it, usually coupled with a huge yawn. Great rom and thoracic flexibility!