This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Vertigo / motion sickness induced by rotations

Started by Anthony Higgins, June 25, 2016 · 6 Replies · 123 Views

Anthony Higgins

Today I did the SL/PE2>iM - standing trunk circle, and as a result got so motion sick and disoriented that I had to stop the workout and lay on the floor until the vertigo passed - about :45 minutes. I have a history of getting motion sickness. Has anyone ever dealt with this? 

Leonhard Krahé

I've had that a couple of times but not so bad I had to lie down. I usually take that as an indicator I did the movement too fast and too uncontrolled and that I had to slow down, which also improved my form in the exercise

Alessandro Mainente

Find a point of reference around you:

- a window

-a picture

-a light

A look over it all the time.

Petra Dvorak

I do also get a little bit dizzy, mostly if going too fast, too wide circles and forgetting to breath. I started with only 3 circles with smaller range of motion, now i can do 5 with full rom (but still slow..)

Also watch the position of your head/neck, try to hold it neutral in relation to your spine, while fixing a point of reference with your eyes.

The problem may come from your vestibular organ, build it up slowly

Douglas Wadle

Some of this will just require desensitization over time.  Your inner ears are not used to doing these things and so will need to adapt, just like the rest of your body.  I would suggest just slowing it down w/ lesser range of motion until you can tolerate it, then starting to increase from there.  It will be time consuming, but you could do a little bit each day so as to extinguish the response over time.  If it is not improving, you may have an inner ear canalith and may need to seek expert advice with a vestibular therapist.  Good luck.

Giovanni Garcea

I dealt with the same thing. I also had often motion sickness when playing video games or watching certain kind of movie. SL/PE2>iM was pretty bad for a while, so I started doing it reaaallly sloooow, and it got better with time. This is what Cole wrote in my thread when I asked about it:

On 10/18/2015 at 11:24 PM, Cole Dano said:

Looks good. The dizziness will get better with time. If it's severe, stop your set when it occurs. It's been found that the vestibular system adapts most quickly when you stop when dizziness occurs and don't resume until it fully abates.

 

Wayne Grima

Yep the iM for SL/PE2 was is really bad for me. By the 3rd rotation I was dizzy as anything, nearly falling over.

It must of been funny to watch, but it's not a nice sensation, almost feeling nauseous,  I think it's due to my sinus.