This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How often?

Started by Janet Tan, June 24, 2016 · 12 Replies · 2,413 Views

Janet Tan

HI everyone 

I just started yesterday and today is Day 2... when i played the Day 1 and Day 2 videos, the movements are pretty easy for me to perform thus far... my question is, how often do I need to practice these movements?  For example, on Day 2 - should I still practice Crab and Ape? 

Coach Sommer

Hi Janet,

Welcome!

Primarily focus on the new day's materials.  If your schedule and energy allow you to spend time on previous materials, then please feel free.  

Also, be aware Day 5 will provide a comprehensive review of the previous four day's materials.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Janet Tan

Oh wow thanks for responding coach!!!! I can't wait to learn from you!!!! I AM hoping to be able to do hand stand by the end of the year.. btw, I listened to your interview with Tim Ferris and Rob Wolf!!! :)

Coach Sommer

You are most welcome, Janet.

Glad you enjoyed the podcasts.  I had a blast making them.

Some more cool podcast content coming out in the near future.  The release dates are not firm yet, but should be within the next 30-60 days.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Julie Love

Hi Coach!  This is a followup question to this one.  Do you have guidance on how long we should be spending with the exercises -- just for the general length of the video, or for a longer amount of time.  I've been digging through the forums but I'm still a bit confused.  I also came from the Tim Ferriss podcast -- loved it and am excited about the program.  Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente

Your body should tell you how much is good. Already recovered? sore joints? listen to your body first.

Coach Sommer

Hi Julie,

It will depend entirely upon the mobility deficits (if any) that you bring to the table and your current work capacity.

For Fundamentals, I would recommend keeping things very simple and arranging your workout according to the block of time you have available to train.  For example, if you have 20 minutes than your entire workout, including w/u and cooldown, must occur within that 20 minute timeframe.  If you have 45 minutes, then the amount of work you attempt could potentially be doubled.

 

Here is a possible structure for a 20min workout to consider:

Begin with warmup: 3-5 minutes

Practice the new Fundamental elements for that day:  5 minutes

Review prior Fundamental elements:  3 minutes

Cool down:  3-5 minutes

 

Let's review a possible structure for a 45min workout:

Begin with warmup:  5-10 minutes

Practice the new Fundamental elements for that day:  10-15 minutes

Review prior Fundamental elements:  10-15 minutes

Cool down:  5-10 minutes

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Scott Tighe

I am new to the fundamentals course and just finished the first week. I am enjoying it so far. What would a good warm up be considered ?

Alessandro Mainente

Since the elements are not so challenging in therms of strength a light warm up with arms circles, trunk circles, wrist circles, some jumping jacks it is fine. as stated above the elements of the previous week could be revisited at the end of the session.

Julie Love

Thank you so much!  Super helpful. 

Jeff Donahue
On ‎07‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 5:11 PM, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Julie,

It will depend entirely upon the mobility deficits (if any) that you bring to the table and your current work capacity.

For Fundamentals, I would recommend keeping things very simple and arranging your workout according to the block of time you have available to train.  For example, if you have 20 minutes than your entire workout, including w/u and cooldown, must occur within that 20 minute timeframe.  If you have 45 minutes, then the amount of work you attempt could potentially be doubled.

 

Here is a possible structure for a 20min workout to consider:

Begin with warmup: 3-5 minutes

Practice the new Fundamental elements for that day:  5 minutes

Review prior Fundamental elements:  3 minutes

Cool down:  3-5 minutes

 

Let's review a possible structure for a 45min workout:

Begin with warmup:  5-10 minutes

Practice the new Fundamental elements for that day:  10-15 minutes

Review prior Fundamental elements:  10-15 minutes

Cool down:  5-10 minutes

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

This is really helpful.  For those of us that need some sort of structure it is nice to have a some sort of starting point as to where to spend my time.  Most of my workouts will be done with limited time at lunch (30-40 minutes) so knowing a way to start structuring it helps, and then I can adjust as needed for particular moves and areas that need more or less work.

Thanks

Jeff

Lenny Sansone

Hello, I just started and I had a question about form. I just did the day two course,  and I was wondering what is the difference between what we are calling "forward support" and the "high plank" position in other fitness circles?

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Lenny,

The front support is the same as a straight arm plank. We use both names in our courses.