This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE6

Started by Petri Widsten, June 23, 2016 · 26 Replies · 404 Views

Petri Widsten

First time doing these, with sets of 3-4. Together with the iM they are hard on the grip! Are the form and tempo acceptable?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Since the focus is the negative part I would give a personal suggestion. Simply perform the tuck lift then grab the bar with feet, straight out your knees and let the butt to move down so that you can maximize the compression with the butt as low as possible. then perform the negative. this will emulate better the future HLL movement where the butt should be held as low as possible.

Petri Widsten

I see what you mean, Alessandro. Thanks!

Toni Laukkavaara

I hear finnish people in the background :D is this in New zealand really?

Petri Widsten

No, I'm on holiday ☺. Going back to NZ on 8 July. 

Petri Widsten

Not really supposed to train this before Tuesday (abs are tired) but wanted to get a form check in before that so that I can then have a productive session. So, am I now doing it in a way that prepares me for HLLs?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Definitely better.

Petri Widsten

This exercise is progressing well for me but I won't be able to achieve mastery before I lose access to back support/stall bars. Can this element be trained on a pull-up bar without back support using the above method? I know training HLLs requires back support to prevent one from using lats and shoulders excessively but maybe it's different for these negatives.

Cole Dano

Obviously doing something is better than doing nothing, so yes it can be trained on a high bar, but with the same disadvantages as for HLLs.

If your pull up bar has uprights you can run a ring strap across to is acts to give some resistance to the shoulders. 

Petri Widsten

Alright, thanks Cole. The bar is fixed to a wall with no uprights. Maybe I can find a large thick block of styrofoam or some other relatively rigid material to bridge the gap or attach verticals to the horizontal supports and fix bars to them. 

Cole Dano

A wife or girlfriend also works.

Mikkel Ravn
4 minutes ago, Cole Dano said:

A wife or girlfriend also works.

However, using both at the same time is generally a bad idea.

Petri Widsten

Just one for each weekly training session then :-). 

The wife and I go to the same gym but mostly at different times.

Jon Douglas
3 hours ago, Mikkel Ravn said:

However, using both at the same time is generally a bad idea.

That is a whole different genre of mobility.

Petri Widsten

OK, finally my stall bars are up and I'm back to HLL negatives. Is there something to refine in my form?

@Alessandro Mainente

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Petri , here some suggestions for you.

- a side video it is necessary to ensure a good review about compression and lats involvement 

-do not jump into the tuck, lift the legs without any aids

-do not bend the arms  to reach the tucked position.

 

Petri Widsten

OK Alessandro, thanks. I'll provide a side view from my next session.

Ryan Bailey
On 6/23/2016 at 6:49 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Since the focus is the negative part I would give a personal suggestion. Simply perform the tuck lift then grab the bar with feet, straight out your knees and let the butt to move down so that you can maximize the compression with the butt as low as possible. then perform the negative. this will emulate better the future HLL movement where the butt should be held as low as possible.

So Alessandro, quick question: I am trying to get this straight for myself as well... We are looking more for the pike compression, thighs towards the belly with lower butt, right? Like Claire demonstrates nicely on the tips video? Not so much the trunk flexion with butt lift at the top, correct? (Not talking about your form Petri, just the technique advice in general)

Nice seeing the progress Petri!

Petri Widsten
1 hour ago, Ryan Bailey said:

 

Nice seeing the progress Petri!

Hey Ryan, 

Haven't actually trained this for months before the above session. Yesterday it rained and I wasn't able to train nHLL but maybe Sunday will be fine for my next session :-).

Alessandro Mainente

yes, butt lift must be minimized.

Petri Widsten

@Alessandro Mainente

 

Here's the side view. As I'm deloading I only did 5x2. This is the last set.                

Alessandro Mainente

Nice attempt, when reached the bar flex completely the plantar fascia (like pointing your toes) so that the ankle moves down and you compress more. Consider the possibility to use this compression as a toll for specific additional stretch.

Petri Widsten

Good idea. Thanks for the tip, Alessandro.

Petri Widsten

 

@Alessandro MainenteI took your suggestion and flexed my feet to get my ankles lower at the top and gain more compression. This is my max compression. What do you think? 

Johan Tideland

Hello Petri, nice work on the HLL negatives, I will not attempt to give advice on the HLL negatives since I know there are people who are more qualified to do so, however I notice that your stall bars are a tad bit short if you want to fully stretch your legs at the bottom position.

I do not know if it is important but perhaps you could dig a small hole if you want to stretch your legs fully, it looks like the hole (or pit) would not need to be very big, I doubt it will look strange nor do I think it would affect the stall bar foundation. The only sad part is that I guess the pit would collect water when it rains.

Just a suggestion:) good luck with training!