This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can't achieve mastery - keep plateauing

Started by Chazmith Newton, June 22, 2016 · 4 Replies · 328 Views

Chazmith Newton

So I am not having any problems moving through the core & lower body stuff... but I can't seem to gain the necessary strength in several upper body exercises... No matter what I do - for the life of me - I can not get to mastery on my push ups from the ground. In addition, I am struggling to get to mastery on the hinge rows. I have tried to do them more, tried to do them less - eventually I got frustrated and just quit for a while, but now I am back @ it and really want to achieve the strength to get through all 5 sets of 15 of these exercises but not sure what I need to do different. I really can't get past 4x9 and even then I struggle. Suggestions?!?!? !

Mark Collins

How long have you been plateauing for? 

César Cruz

I'm not sure that if the others will agree but after doing weighted chin ups my RC improved, i was plateauing, and now i'm not. And for the push ups: bench press helped me. As i did weighlifting before, i had the mastery on this element in a few weeks. on the other hand, the bench press helped nothing at all for the HBP PE3

Another thing that may be even better is doing the weighted pushups but for lower reps but i don't know if it going to work, it depends when u are doing them, your schedule etc.

If you don't have any other better option try these

If u decide to do weighted stuff, don't go high volume while doing foundation. a couple sets is enough and form must be perfect

Alessandro Mainente

You situation is pretty common, personally we are all different so you need to evaluate different strategies, try to adopt one of them for at least 3-5 weeks and see how the situation goes:

-option 1 : one of the milestone of the linear periodizzation like in the bodyweight training is: when plateau holds for more then 2 following training where the perceived effort is the SAME (i mean same effort on every single set) you need to do something more. The 2 session is something that you should consider in order to evaluate the value of the plateau. in this case you need to do more. simple one strategy is add one more set to technical failure.

-option 2: increase the TUT (time under tension) when you are reaching the final rep pf the last set. example for the push up. if you reach 4x9 first session, and 4x9 second session. during the third you would do 4x9 then put down your knees , move directly in the starting position and perform super slow negative from top to bottom (2-3 reps are fine)

-option 3: use the approach to fatigue the type of energetic system you are using. in order to do that you need to improve the TUT with an easier variation. so for push up perform them on the floor near a station where you can perform them elevated. at the end of last set move immediately to the easier variation trying to complete the assignment  or increase the number of reps to failure

-option 4: look carefully where is your sticky point: this version is something extremely useful in order to improve the number of reps . you need to shoot a video and see where you are stopping the movement or,better the hardest point. for example during a push up people are very weak on the arms extension (from the point where upper arm is horizontal up to the starting position) THAT'S THE REALITY. so you can evaluate

1)  to use an advanced version of a push up like PE3, in the FIRST SESSION OF THE WEEK and work on the sticky point (e.g. from top position down to 90° elbows flexion, and back to top position)

2)in the SECOND SESSION OF THE WEEK, do your push up exercise e.g PE2.

 

Petri Widsten

F1 has many pushing and pulling exercises that for many are mainly endurance work - one set is like nothing but getting to five full sets can take a long time. I understand that high rep work can build joint and connective tissue strength needed in later elements but if you spend a long time on endurance work only you can also start losing strength which can make it even harder to reach mastery. Conversely, having a large strength surplus makes the endurance work much easier. This is where weighted dips, push-ups (weight vest and hands and feet on elevated surfaces for ROM) and pull-ups can help. More advanced bodyweight exercises like those in F2 or HBP PE3 can accomplish the same thing. What I'll do next to break out of my RC PE3 plateau (stuck at 5x8) is sets of F2 pulling exercises instead of RC PE3 every other RC session.

Although this is what I do (because I know from experience  I can train that way safely) I don't recommend it for others because those advanced exercises require the joint and connective tissue strength the F1 endurance work develops in the first place. You might end up with tendinitis etc if you're not prepared. Alessandro's options are the safe ways to address a plateau.