Hello folks,
I know this topic has been brought up numerous times, so I wanted to give you all a little background on this "how to rehab injury" question prior to any prejudgments.
I am by training, a Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation physician with about 12 years of experience with respect to Aerospace medicine in the USAF, then traumatic brain injury/stroke/spinal cord/musculoskeletal injury rehabilitation, and now am currently in pain management. I have a great working knowledge of the functional anatomy, which is a pre-requisite to be able to come up with movement programs to help these injured folks above regain some functional capacity in their future, now impaired, lives. In fact, as a compliment to coach and his staff, the main reason I decided to become a member here is that I really appreciated the knowledge and plan Gymnastics bodies implements and their ethos on the body and its function. I am also a very big proponent of the ancestral health movement to not only go beyond nutrition, but also to thrive on functional movement etc. I do not think that any other program, to my knowledge,.has as good of a grasp and working knowledge of the functional human MSK system as does Coach Sommer and his team...
That said, I would like to draw upon him, his staff and the members here on some advice with elbow pain. Now, I know this is a common issue and folks will start thinking distal biceps tendon/brachialis, but I am looking more for population information, sort of anecdotal information to this issue. I personally have anterior/lateral elbow pain which sits just below (think more deep to) the distal biceps tendon when palpated. I believe this started with a pullup workout routine several (6) months prior. I have since stopped pullups about 2 months ago, but continue to have discomfort in this area during late exercise when I row and afterwards with simple functional, everyday forearm flexion. My diagnosis is brachialis tendinopathy....
My question is, is this in fact brachialis tendinopathy (always like second opinions to eliminate bias esp when diagnosing myself)? If it is brachialis tendinopathy, do folks who have a similar diagnosis, experience this pain lateral or medial to the biceps tendon (I usually hear this presenting as medial elbow pain where the brachialis tendon inserts which has me questioning my diagnosis)? And most importantly, I have stopped all strength movements regarding those movement as suggested by Coach Sommer and backed off to following the program to strengthen the connective tissue as well as stretching exercises, but is there anything else anyone can suggest? I normally wouldnt ask these questions based on my background and usually treating these issues as a physician, but I would appreciate outside "eyes", so to speak, from a community that has substantial experience since I'd love to keep rowing....
Thank you all for your time to read this,
Alex