This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

pHS PE1 im

Started by Ryan Reynolds, June 21, 2016 · 14 Replies · 214 Views

Ryan Reynolds

I know I've got a long way to go.  Any tips or focus points?  At what depth do you start marking that you completed the mobility?

 

Giovanni Garcea

I believe the criteria is crease of the hip below hands level.

I don't know if it'll help you, but for the longest time I didn't realize that I was "pulling" with my shoulders. When I finally totally released the shoulders I got more range immediately. It was probably fear of letting go ;-)

Ryan Bailey

Also, the hand grip is different than mastery video. I did that on accident early on with this as well.

Mark Schoenhard

The bar the feet are on is protruding farther out then the bar the hands are gripping.  Seems like this would inhibit how far forward you can lean.

Ryan Reynolds

I was thinking the same thing Mark, and today I tried a different set up.  It was a much more intense stretch and I felt my hips were closer to my hands. 

I threaded the barbell through the two vertical supports at the bottom.  It was much closer to straight up and down starting position.

Alessandro Mainente

Palms should be facing down.

And yes you need to reach at least past hands level.

Lock your knees.

Ryan Reynolds

Still not quite there but looks better with a better set up.

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

TRy to open your chest and hold it opened while descending into the deepest position.

Ryan Reynolds

@Alessandro Mainente I've been trying your open chest suggestion, but I'm not sure if I'm getting it.  Here is a new check.  Its not as deep but maybe the stretch is hitting more the proper place?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Ryan well in your case trying to open the chest is a bit difficult, how is your progression in the MANNA ?

Ryan Reynolds

I'm on PE1 4x12r which feel pretty easy.  But I'm taking the im really slow because of an old abductor injury that will flair up if I push too hard. Same with MS stretch.  Had been feeling good then tweaked it a bit a week and a half ago.  Seeing a PT about it now.

Do you think I should do Jefferson Curl in place of this stretch? 

Alessandro Mainente

I cannot figure out, when doing the stiff leg windmill the main stretch should be felt on adductor (muscles which close the legs together) and hamstring. abductor open the legs, so I cannot understand how this problems involves the windmill, maybe you mean adductor?

Ryan Reynolds

sorry my bad.  Yes Adductor.

I should have just said groin instead of trying to sound smart.  Anyway back to my short and tight hamstrings.  Am I risking hurting my back with my form?  I'm thinking maybe I should set this aside for a while or substitute something I can more easily target toward my hamstrings?  What would you recommend?

Alessandro Mainente

Yes i think that in your personal situation the stretch on the stallbar it is too intense. Have you consider the idea of use the stretch course?

Ryan Reynolds

Yes I do the stretch courses once a week, I'm aware my flexibility is what is what needs the most work.  I will use my pHS1 time for some less intense hamstring and adductor work.  Maybe revisit this next spring.

Thanks for your help.