This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS PE/2 + iM Transition?

Started by Jeffrey Bailey, June 21, 2016 · 3 Replies · 127 Views

Jeffrey Bailey

Hi all,

Loving Foundation One so far. I tackled Deck Squats pretty quickly, but Cossack Squats and the Twisting Squats that goes along with it is a big jump for me from a mobility standpoint. 

When doing a Cossack Squat, I have two problems that I can see: 

1) I have a hard time keeping my bent leg foot on the ground. Ankle wants to lift.

2) I also find myself leaning forward quite a bit as I get lower; so much so that I fall over. I can feel a stretch in my adductor on the straight leg, which may be the culprit.

Any tips for making Cossack Squat a bit easier until I can do the movement without falling?

The Twisting Squat is just a lack of strength in the side of my foot I believe. The beginning of the movement is very tough and wobbly, but gets stable as I stand up higher.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Julia Quigley

HI, Jeffrey! Welcome to the program. 

Do the cossack squats with reduced range of motion for now. Only go as low as you can with good form (minimal leaning, foot firmly planted, etc.). Over time, with practice and some dedicated stretching to your adductors and Achilles, you'll be able to go lower and lower. 

As you'll see recommended over and over again on the forum--it's worth it to post a form check to see if there's any technique issues a coach can spot that will make it easier for you.

Tom Wood

Hi Jeffery,

 The Achilles /hamstring stretches from the front split series and the adductor stretches from the middle split series really helped me get full ROM on this move. I love doing the stretch series almost as much as foundation. :D

Jeffrey Bailey
On 6/21/2016 at 3:23 PM, Julia Quigley said:

HI, Jeffrey! Welcome to the program. 

Do the cossack squats with reduced range of motion for now. Only go as low as you can with good form (minimal leaning, foot firmly planted, etc.). Over time, with practice and some dedicated stretching to your adductors and Achilles, you'll be able to go lower and lower. 

As you'll see recommended over and over again on the forum--it's worth it to post a form check to see if there's any technique issues a coach can spot that will make it easier for you.

Thanks, Julia. I am going to post on the form check forum!