This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Logistics of Learning & Doing Exercises

Started by Matt Karlin, June 20, 2016 · 2 Replies · 146 Views

Matt Karlin

I'm getting ready to start the Foundation and Stretch series, but not sure what the best way is to access these videos to learn the movements while I'm exercising.  Do people bring a computer into the gym with them? Watch the videos and memorize the movements?  Access the videos on their phone browser?  I figure I could watch the videos and write some notes about the workout I'm about to do to remind myself while I'm actually working out.

But was wondering if anyone has already worked through these logistics and found something that works well.

Also, if you miss a workout, does the program automatically adjust the future days? What is the best way to handle that?

 

Thanks,

Matt

Giovanni Garcea

Matt, yes, most of us went through these issues and sometimes the details are a personal choice. This is what I do:

the learning is offline. I review the videos before the workouts, not during. Then I do the workout, but sometimes, when the movement is new, new questions arise (what is the foot angle?, etc...), so the day after the workout I review the instructional video again. After a couple of times, you'll remember. I think this is more productive than taking notes. Also, a great way to improve is to record yourself with a smartphone and then compare your form with the instructional videos. You'll spot so many differences to address. I made the mistake of advancing many steps in a PE without recording a video and didn't realize my form was terrible.

When I workout at home I take my computer with me and play the videos and I workout while listening and peeking at the screen. When I'm traveling and workout at another gym, I use my phone with headphones. Audio is what really matters.

If you miss a workout, log it anyway and select the "not attempted" box. The scheduler will take care of the rest. But try to get all your workouts in be the end of the week anyway and go back and log them on the day that you were supposed to work out.

Petra Dvorak

I enjoy having a workout at home; for the first progressions you don't need a gym nor big equipment, a yoga-mat and rings or wooden DIY-holds for the RC-progressions.

 

IMG_1009.jpg