This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Which stretch series for someone with a bad lower back?

Started by Srini Duggirala, June 20, 2016 · 8 Replies · 199 Views

Srini Duggirala

Coaches,

Which one is the right stretch series to address a weak lower back/hips, and very tight posterior chain in general? If I were to pick only one of the three stretch series, which one would that be? Or do I have to pick and choose different stretches from each series? I really need the focus to be on fixing the lower back issue before the other courses can be considered on a longer term.

Also, maybe I'll post this in the Foundation forum, but which strength exercises are the best for strengthening the overall posterior chain?

I really appreciate an answer and thank you in advance!

Davide Isernia

Jefferson Curl

Jon Douglas

J- curls are  excellent and sound like your logical first stop

The FL, SLS and SL streams will shore up your posterior chain weaknesses and have a profound effect on posture 

Mark Collins

All of them. In particular the bridge series and SL works wonders on the posterior chain.

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Mark Collins said:

All of them. In particular the bridge series and SL works wonders on the posterior chain.

I'm with mark at 1000% especially the SL, you have no idea of how many lower back problems you can cure with the late SL integrated mobility.

Kevin Herring

It's difficult to say what exactly will reduce the back problem since what is causing it can vary.  Plus my pain varies according to the work I do throughout the week.  That work being my job. 

I still notice improvements when I do the Front and Middle Stretch.  I haven't done the Thoracic Stretch so can't say.  And I have done the online classes stretching (lightly) in between the FS and MS courses.  All have decreased the daily discomfort.  The general rule appears to be mobility first, core second, everything else after.  So I would recommend doing all of the Stretch series as prescribed.  Since you do each one once a week picking one may not address the whole issue of your tightness. 

I really noticed a reduction in daily discomfort when I started SL/PE5. All of the SL im's have helped tremendously.  Additionally SL/PE5 coincided with me doing Jefferson Curls 3x a week (15-lbs up to 35-lbs now) as part of my warm-up per John Douglas.  Move correctly first, add weight later.  You'll get the biggest benefit when you learn to move correctly. 

 

 

Jon Douglas
10 minutes ago, Kevin Herring said:

  Move correctly first, add weight later.  You'll get the biggest benefit when you learn to move correctly. 

 

 

Gee, that sounds familiar.... :D

Kevin Herring

Yeah.  Should have put that in quotation marks.  :facepalm:  and then stick-ied it. 

Jon Douglas
1 minute ago, Kevin Herring said:

Yeah.  Should have put that in quotation marks.  :facepalm:  and then stick-ied it. 

The more we repeat it, the more we might one day remember it when we're training and a cute girl walks past just as we decide 'Nah, too heavy...' ^_^