This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Coffee espresso - how much a day?

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, June 20, 2016 · 2 Replies · 128 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi guys!

Just a curiosity, is there a maximal daily amount of coffee we should not overpass?

I use to drink daily 3 small cups [about 30 ml each one I guess] of italian espresso, 2 in the early morning, and 1 soon after lunch, with no kind of sugar added (in the morning as breakfast I add a cup of whole milk).

Is there a general rule?

Thank you!

Jeff Serven

Everything has a dose response. No 2 people are the same. You could plot caffeine consumption on a bell curve but only a very small percentage of the people are on the middle of the curve. So the "average amount" is only good for about 15% of the population. 

A persons reaction to caffeine is dependent on frequency and size. If you are a daily coffee drinker like I am then you will gradually build a tolerance. If you don't drink it often then 1 espresso will probably send you bouncing. 

With all that said I would say if you get above the 3-4 espressos on a daily regular you should take a week off. 

Alessandro Di Sanzo
4 minutes ago, Jeff Serven said:

Everything has a dose response. No 2 people are the same. You could plot caffeine consumption on a bell curve but only a very small percentage of the people are on the middle of the curve. So the "average amount" is only good for about 15% of the population. 

A persons reaction to caffeine is dependent on frequency and size. If you are a daily coffee drinker like I am then you will gradually build a tolerance. If you don't drink it often then 1 espresso will probably send you bouncing. 

With all that said I would say if you get above the 3-4 espressos on a daily regular you should take a week off. 

Got it! Thank you Jeff! :)