This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE2+iM Form check

Started by James Koppel, June 19, 2016 · 8 Replies · 91 Views

James Koppel

 

On the element, I feel like I should somehow be using completely different muscles. Help please.

 

 

 

 

 

James Koppel

I repeat my request. I really feel like I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

Cole Dano

Hey James, sorry this is coming so late, sometimes posts will drop down in the queue and accidentally get missed.

You're right, there's a bit of work to do here.

The iM, great ROM, just don't be so aggressive and jerky with it. Calm controlled motion. 

The PE, the biggest thing is the body line.  You want to try to form a straight, slightly hollow body line. If you look at your video, note that the hips are up high, out of the straight line, and your lower back is arching, out of the hollow.

So if you first work on correcting these then we can move forward. You can start by just holding the top position as an elbow plank and locking that in. 

To complete the rep, with that locked in body shape, turn down and try to touch the elbow to the floor and roll back up, all the way, to where you started in the elbow plank.

James Koppel

Thanks. Very helpful.

 

Where should I feel the rotation? Is my shoulder rotating and my torso staying straight?

Cole Dano

Good question, it's your torso that rotates, ideally the shoulder doesn't move at all relative to the body.

Rotating from the torso while keeping the body line is what makes this a killer element.

To be exact, you rotate from your waist as far as you can, then finish by rotating a bit from the hips.

James Koppel

Okay, here's an update on the strength element. Still don't really know if I'm getting it.

 

 

James Koppel

Hello! I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Jon Douglas

Hi James,

Not sure why we have apparently missed your post again. We'll be sure to keep a closer eye out :)

There is still some work to do here. You are still jerking on the second half of the rep and it looks like you are fighting yourself to get that twist happening. The reps on the second side were better, as you were able to twist more under control.

The first and biggest thing I take away from your reps is the head twist with which you start the rep. Start the rep by lining up with the off arm out from the head. As you begin, draw as wide an arc as possible with that elbow, and maintain the head in line with it as it gradually goes around. As it is, I think you are making the balance much harder on yourself than it needs to be, sort of setting up a pre-twist and then trying to catch it up.

If possible, it would be easier to see what is going on with the twist if you are able to wear a sleeveless/no shirt and show the video of your whole body. We'll get to the bottom of this :)

 

Cole Dano

Sorry you've had such bad luck with responses. 

If you like mod posts or use the @ symbol to call out a coach who's been helping you that will make sure they see you're posting in their notification. It's not necessary but it helps, particularly if you're having a conversation with a certain coach.