This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hinge Rows - Form Check

Started by Jeffrey Bailey, June 18, 2016 · 6 Replies · 104 Views

Jeffrey Bailey

Hi guys,

I'm making good progress through foundation 1 with all movements except Hinge Rows. I feel that my form is not correct and that I don't get a good 90 degree angle without moving my lower body during the movement. Can you take a look and critique? Should I move back a bit or am I lacking some strength in an area?

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Alessandro Mainente

Focus on holding the hips at the same height.

The starting position in order to maximize the benefits must be with hips under the point of fixation of the rings.

Jeffrey Bailey
16 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The starting position in order to maximize the benefits must be with hips under the point of fixation of the rings.

Thanks, Alessandro. I see what you mean by the hips at the same height.

Can you clarify the point about the starting position being hips under the point of fixation on the rings, though? My understanding was that starting position should be with rings directly in line with shoulders.

Appreciate it!

https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/rc-pe1/

Eva Pelegrin

Means place hips (sit bones) right under the rings to determine feet placement, so when you lean back ring straps will be slightly at an angle (not perpendicular to the floor). I would add, focus on the retraction component as it appears you're pulling yourself UP with your arms. Try to focus more on pulling your elbows behind as you open your chest. See if that feels different. Good body line and great start!

Randeep Walia

Like Eva said, you're starting off with a row, rather than a hinge. Not only is it incorrect, I think this variation would be much harder.

Jochen Friedrich

It is much harder - i did it that way at first. I am a beginner - but what helped me was get seated in the position you will end in (like shown in the video) - that way it is much easier to figure out your correct position.

Jeffrey Bailey
On 6/19/2016 at 2:10 PM, Eva Pelegrin said:

Means place hips (sit bones) right under the rings to determine feet placement, so when you lean back ring straps will be slightly at an angle (not perpendicular to the floor). I would add, focus on the retraction component as it appears you're pulling yourself UP with your arms. Try to focus more on pulling your elbows behind as you open your chest. See if that feels different. Good body line and great start!

Thanks, Eva. Super helpful and I believe I got it. Will post another video and you can tell me ;)