This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Log entries to prevent automatic advancing

Started by Cody Bradford, June 16, 2016 · 6 Replies · 162 Views

Cody Bradford

I'm currently on my first week. I've been testing mastery, and noticed that on the movements I completed all the required reps, the scheduler automatically bumps me up to the next progression on the next workout. If I don't feel that all the reps were completed with strict enough form though,  or with too much struggle to be considered 'masterful' what should I enter in the log to prevent the scheduler from advancing me? 

 

Another question, does the scheduler automatically adjust your progression anytime you enter that you completed all the reps? Or only if I've chosen to test mastery on that day? 

 

Thanks 

 

 

Wayne Smith

The scheduler doesn't know the quality of your reps, and relies on your honest assessment of whether they were any good or not, you should probably only record the number of reps that you thought were strict enough, or masterful enough to count.

Why would you count reps that you think 'don't count'?

Guido Franchetti

In a similar situation, reps with good form but ROM not sufficient for mastery I was advised, by Cory if I remember correctly, to log the number of reps effectively done and, if the scheduler bumped me on the next element, to simply change it back to the old one by clicking on the gear icon.

For your second question I am sure it adjusts more often than just for the mastery test. It probably waits more than a workout to evaluate if changes are needed though.

 

Cody Bradford
14 hours ago, Wayne Smith said:

Why would you count reps that you think 'don't count'?

Because if I can complete the sets, even with imperfect form, it seems counterintuitive to me to schedule fewer reps on the next workout. To the contrary, I'd say it's the uncomfortable reps that count the most. 

6 minutes ago, Guido Franchetti said:

 I was advised, by Cory if I remember correctly, to log the number of reps effectively done and, if the scheduler bumped me on the next element, to simply change it back to the old one by clicking on the gear icon

This is helpful, thank you. I'll give it a try. 

Wayne Smith
7 hours ago, Cody Bradford said:

Because if I can complete the sets, even with imperfect form, it seems counterintuitive to me to schedule fewer reps on the next workout. To the contrary, I'd say it's the uncomfortable reps that count the most. 

Not to try and be awkward about it, but surely if the form is not right, then you aren't really completing the sets? As I understand it, the idea is to build work capacity with the sets and reps that can be performed with good form?

Does it really schedule less reps next time?

I'm trying to get my head around this as well, because I'm here from a history of bodyweight workouts with a philosophy of always adding one more rep, or holding for longer on every workout.  I would always progress fairly rapidly, and then burn out totally.  What's the rush?

Petra Dvorak
9 hours ago, Guido Franchetti said:

I am sure it adjusts more often than just for the mastery test. It probably waits more than a workout to evaluate if changes are needed though.

I have noticed that the system adjusts every week (sunday night), but only if you completed every PE at least once that week. But if i didn't feel ready, i set it back manually, for example i stayed on FL/PE1 5x60sec for 6 weeks!

9 hours ago, Cody Bradford said:

 I'd say it's the uncomfortable reps that count the most. 

Uncomfortable is ok, imperfect is no good! I would say, this is one of the big differences of GST to other training methods like Crossfit, Streetworkout, Kettlebells etc., that in first line it's the form that counts, not adding more reps too fast. Bad technique leads to injuries/overloads sooner or later!

Stay healthy!

Cody Bradford
8 hours ago, Wayne Smith said:

Not to try and be awkward about it, but surely if the form is not right, then you aren't really completing the sets? 

Not completing the sets in a satisfactory manner, no. You'll notice that my original question was regarding not wanting to move to the next progression until I was sure my form was perfect. I'm not trying to rush. If I stopped as soon as my technique was less than perfect though,  I'd only have completed a couple reps of each movement, if that. 

7 hours ago, Petra Dvorak said:

 

7 hours ago, Petra Dvorak said:

I would say, this is one of the big differences of GST to other training methods like Crossfit, Streetworkout, Kettlebells etc., that in first line it's the form that counts, not adding more reps too fast. Bad technique leads to injuries/overloads sooner or later!

Agreed.