This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jump from neg HeSPU to Freestanding HeSPU is HUUGE.

Started by Bryan Wheelock, June 15, 2016 · 12 Replies · 426 Views

Bryan Wheelock

Jump from HBP PE16 - HBP PE17 is HUGE.
It seems the difference is that a freestanding HeSPU requires mid-trap stabilization.
I can do 5 * 5 HeSPU facing the wall with hands elevated on 2 panels, but a freestanding one is beyond my reach.

I think at the beginning of my movement there is a slight push back into the wall until my arms get extended enough to pull my torso vertical at the top.

Are there any supplemental approaches to develop the needed mid-trap strength to do this?

Mikkel Ravn

Yes - Do HBP16 freestanding. IMO, that's an absolute necessity. 

Mikkel Ravn

Also, at this point it would be better to perform HeSPU with the back to the wall. Scissor the legs so one follows a nice handstand line, while the other supports you lightly against the wall with a bent knee. Gives a good weight distribution and allows minimal self-spotting.

Mats Trane

When you start doing the freestanding negatives, make sure to be hollow at all times. What I´ve seen alot including myself in the beginning, is thas people tilt their head back/look forward (where is the floor) which creats an arch. Make sure you can do HBP15 super comfortable. You should come down on top of your head not on your forhead then push STRAIGHT up NOT towards your feet.This will strenghten your shoulders in the correct way. If/when arching the body and pushing up, you strenghten the chest and it is much harder to get back up into a stacked handstand.

 

Mikkel Ravn
7 hours ago, Zach Armijo said:

Posting a video will always tell all, but until then, over use of the wall is most peoples' problem when going to freestanding anything HS related. Not only will having one leg straight and the other leg on the wall with back facing will create an unnecessary arch, but it will also reinforce the use of the wall when by now, it's tough cookies. You should literally move on already. It's time to take the training wheels off. 

Failure comes from inadequate elbow position, too much reliance on the wall, and not enough time spent in the actual handstand. 

I agree that it's best to just go freestanding.

However, I also use the above back-to-the-wall method for accumulating relevant assistance work, and IMO it is leaps and bounds better than front-to-the wall. With a bit of practice it can be done in a hollow, while only relying lightly on the wall, using a toe on the bent leg.

Bryan Wheelock

I thought I was doing the right thing HeSPU facing the wall.

Didn't the old images in Foundation and BtGB show initial HeSPU belly to the wall?

Regardless, the back to the wall scissored does seem like a good addition.

I'm also incorporating some freestanding HeSPU with my head on 5 panel mats. I'll reduce mats as I accumulate reps.

Gavin Strelitz

I used the panel mat approach and I am now doing full reps unassisted.

Sean Murphey

While we're at it, are the hspu progressions meant to be done off the wall? I know HBP/PE16 and 17 is but 18 and 19 are done against a wall in the video. Is it more recommended to do all of them 18 and 19 freestanding? thanks

John Koliopoulos
On 17.6.2016 at 1:24 PM, Sean Murphey said:

While we're at it, are the hspu progressions meant to be done off the wall? I know HBP/PE16 and 17 is but 18 and 19 are done against a wall in the video. Is it more recommended to do all of them 18 and 19 freestanding? thanks

I would definitely do them freestanding, you will gain way more strength. If you can do PE17 then 18 and 19 on the wall are easy anyway. And for HBP you need strength out of the deep hspu position. I am so annoyed atm i was at 5x5 and irritated my wrist by trying to do 3x/week hspu on hands coming from 2x/week, wasnt ready. doing military press now as nothing else works, even on parallettes i cant push up without pain. hoping to be back there soon.

And at the OP, you gotta understand wall hspu is easy if you arch and recruit chest. ofc you can bang out reps. Get off the wall and ask yourself: is your shoulder completely open in handstand ? Can you do 5x30s free handstand? If not that should be priority #1. Otherwise you will fail miserably at PE17.

Christopher Denzer

I am confused by PE 16-18. It has been suggested that we should do these freestanding, but there is no way my handstand is at 5x30s. I started the HS series long after I began my Foundation work. I just completed 5x10s! My understanding is that these elements are working on building up shoulder girdle strength, is there another exercise I should be doing to develop that strength until my handstand skills catch up?

Alessandro Mainente

You can temporary perform this variation facing the wall without losing alignment and trying to add a little free handstand at the end of the hspu.

Christopher Denzer

Ok thanks Alessandro.

Oussama KHELLADI
On 6/17/2016 at 11:35 AM, Gavin Strelitz said:

I used the panel mat approach and I am now doing full reps unassisted.

very good tip thanks gavin