Forearm stiffness

Started by Daryl Chan, June 13, 2016 · 5 Replies · 3,293 Views

Daryl Chan

Hello, I was  just going about my normal handstand practice but usually 5-10 minutes into my practice this of course maybe has me on my hands for a combined time of like maybe 1-2minutes on my hands.  My forearms begin to get really stiff, and rock solid, Sometimes it makes grasping the floor difficult and then once that happens i try to rely mostly on the weight centered more to the bottom of the hands. So i am just wondering is it something in my died that causes this, am i doing something wrong, or am i just over using that muscle. Its usually on the inside half of  my forearms, and down near the bottom where it kinda flares out into a spade shape. if anyone has any knowledge of this, or has experienced this please let me know. The only similar feeling I have had was when rock climbing. So i think i might be grasping to much or to tightly with my hands im unsure though. please if anyone can help that would be great thank you.

Petri Widsten

If it's a strength issue, rope climbs should increase your forearm strength. Better to do the whole RC series of Foundation to build up to RCs and prepare the elbows for them of course.

If you only need stretching, I find that shoulder dislocates give my forearms a good stretch.

I don't know your background - maybe you've already done all that.

Daryl Chan
1 hour ago, Petri Widsten said:

 

I know i cant climb a rope, i can barely do pull ups actually My body weight weights to much for my current strength to be able to do many if at all any.But im not sure if its a strength thing  because in handstands are you using your forearms that much as a balance or stabalizing muscle?

Petri Widsten

I'm far from an expert on this but almost your whole bodyweight is supported by your forearms and any time you're not completely vertical there is torque on your forearms that you need to compensate for using fingers and forearms. I think there's a fair chance the forearms are getting fatigued if you haven't prepared them with pulling exercises.

Let's wait for the coaches or some of the knowledgeable physios to say what might be going on.

Daryl Chan

Thank you i appreciate your help with that. That kind of explains everything a bit better.

Coach Sommer

Petri's comments are spot on; a case of forearm fatigue due to insufficient strength.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer