This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

First Form check: HBP/PE1

Started by Daniel Lehnberg, June 13, 2016 · 22 Replies · 242 Views

Alessandro Mainente

During the mobility work it is evident some imbalances between left and right especially when your right arm moves overhead, its range of movement is quite less compared to the left one.

During the PE especially as you move along the 3rd set you are loosing the posterior pelvic tilt and resulting in arched lower back .

Ashe Higgs

I have a question for the coaches.  It look to me like Daniels movement during the arm swing is initiated mostly from flexing the elbow, and then you see him maintain a fairly flexed elbow through out the movement, as opposed to having a "long" arm throughout the middle range.  I went back and reviewed the videos for HBP/PE1 and this doesn't seem to be a problem.  Will you get the more from the exercise by keeping the movement long if you have space, or we're just after the shoulder flexion and a little external rotation at the top to open up the pec minor, etc. so the mid range of the movement is not so important?

Daniel Lehnberg

Thanks for the feedback @Alessandro Mainente! I'll be sure to work on that. Just to be clear, you would consider this a fail?

Alessandro Mainente

not enough for the mastery. Lack of quality.

Daniel Lehnberg

Thanks @Alessandro Mainente! Back to training for me.
Question: Should I post in this thread next time I attempt mastery, or should I start a new thread? How is it done usually?

Alessandro Mainente

Yes, it is better for you to post a couple of reps to check the form.

Daniel Lehnberg

@Alessandro Mainente any progress? good enough for a pass? :mellow:
 

 

Petri Widsten

To me it seems you are doing them without PPT from the start. To learn the right muscle activation pattern that produces a flat lower back I'd suggest going thru sPL 1-3 and posting form checks along the way. 

Alessandro Mainente

Petri gives the correct suggestion. the posterior pelvic tilt is not showed, are you practicing the elbow plank from sPL progression?

Daniel Lehnberg

Thanks for your feedback @Alessandro Mainente & @Petri Widsten! Sadly, I'm only at the early stages of SPL/PE1 (does not feel like I am having the right technique nor strength), so getting to PE2 & 3 is going to take me a while. I'll see what I can do to focus on getting a good PPT and will revert back.
 

And also add a form checks for SPL/PE1 then.

Daniel Lehnberg

@Petri Widsten @Alessandro Mainente just a quick one: would you consider this the correct PPT position? so I know and can practice on this. thx

Petri Widsten

I think it's much better. Compare to the course video for a performance benchmark.

Petra Dvorak

Daniel, this looks much much better, not only the PPT, also your scapular protraction is here now!

Alessandro Mainente

Now the form equals the standard that I would like to see. test if you are capable to manage the mastery with this form.

Daniel Lehnberg

Thanks for your encouragement @Alessandro Mainente, @Petri Widsten, @Petra Dvorak!
Ok, how about this? (and yeah sorry, I did 6 sets by accident, I suck at counting when I'm too focused haha and was afraid I would get the set count wrong!)

Ashe Higgs
3 hours ago, Daniel Lehnberg said:


 I suck at counting when I'm too focused haha and was afraid I would get the set count wrong!)

I use pennies. Just slide a penny from the pile when you complete a set.  No more pennies and you know you're done. =)

Alessandro Mainente

Very nice considering the 6th set.

Daniel Lehnberg

Great tip @Ashe Higgs! Definitely going to try that! :)

@Alessandro Mainente - is that a pass?! :D

Alessandro Mainente

For me yes.

Daniel Lehnberg

Wooooo! :D Thanks for all your help! ^^ PE2, here I come!

Julia Quigley
On July 1, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Ashe Higgs said:

I use pennies. Just slide a penny from the pile when you complete a set.  No more pennies and you know you're done. =)

I do the same thing!!

Ashe Higgs
9 minutes ago, Julia Quigley said:

I do the same thing!!

great minds think alike. LOL