This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

One dislocate to rule them all?

Started by Mikkel Ravn, June 13, 2016 · 6 Replies · 333 Views

Mikkel Ravn

Hi guys

After what seems an eternity, I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel, and expect to master prone undergrip dislocates within a month or two. The good these exercises has done my shoulders is incredible, particularly my left one which was very stiff due to reconstructive surgery.

This means that I will soon add them to my warmup, where I'll begin to build up the weight. I'd like to know how the more experienced guys do it: Do you cycle through the four types of dislocates at each session, do you train them in parallel, or do you just pick the hardest version, the benefits of which will then trickle down to the easier variations?

In short, which protocol would you recommend for building up, post-mastery?

Alessandro Mainente

I usually do the lying version as a warm up with 6-7 kg. then at the end of the workout I work with the standing version with the aim of increase the weight with no limit.

Basically I use the versions where I feel more activation.

Mikkel Ravn

I see. Undergrip, overgrip, or a mix...?

 

Jon Douglas

I have had the best results, long-term, with 2x a week, 3sets of 5, alternating under and over grip. They're quite distinct movements. I have only been doing them prone for the past 6 months-ish, as it carries over to standing, but the reverse doesn't seem true. I start wide and move in comfortably, and don't up the weight until I have it easily with both grips. Under-grip adds more of a shoulder extension and forearm focus, where overgrip is more flexion and low traps as I get it.

My experience with this protocol; I got 12.5kg down to shoulder width plus a little last week in my (weaker) under-grip; today first trial set with 15kg and a grip wide enough to be easy :)testing the weight.

 

Apologies; I have removed my video and will post an appropriately cool one next week.

 

Briac Roquet

That girl is mirin' hard. :lol:

Jon Douglas
43 minutes ago, Briac Roquet said:

That girl is mirin' hard. :lol:

In my gym there is a certain level of curiosity. "Ooh, that guy who doesn't know what weights are for is here again! What wacky hijinks will we see today?!"

Mikkel Ravn

Nooo, I missed the vid!

Thanks for chipping in, Jon, that it very helpful information.