This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE16

Started by Jaromir Stopka, June 11, 2016 · 16 Replies · 343 Views

Jaromir Stopka

Hi folks,

I would like to ask you for help and advise.I am training together with my pal and we are struggling with HBP/PE16.Not only struggling but we are also very confused of this exercise.At first we dont get why is so high leveled exercise put between not that dificult ones.Going to free handstand and descent for 10 second than up and down for 10 second all five times its like different dimension to us.We do also HS1 training but we have not finished that one yet and we are not able to do free hand stand yet.I know there are instructions that say we can use wall support if needed and thats my second question.The video is only free hand stand and pictures with wall support are not really clear.We dont know if the body must stick near wall or there may be a gap.Purely and simply I am attaching video of each of us doing a different descent and ascent and I would like to kindly ask for opinion and advise how to improve it or correct it and give us some direction.Exuse my english guys.

thank youuu

Mikkel Ravn

Hello Jaromir.

I remember that you have had trouble with the handstand before.

I think the reason this exercise is there, halfway through the F series, is that by now we need to have a functional handstand to progress. The cure is pretty simple, I suppose: Focus on H1 and get to the freestanding handstand drills. It is also possible to play around with free balancing after your H1 training, to speed up the balance acquisition.

Doing HBP16 against the wall may be ok for gaining the initial strength, but at some point you need to do it free standing.

Jaromir Stopka

Hi,thanks a lot for comment.....but it means to stoped progress in HBP for maybe 1 year till we gaing free balanced free hand standing?

Cole Dano

Since it's you and your friend, try spotting each other in the HS. 

Since you are moving in these, the balance may come quicker than you think with the aid of a spot.

Jaromir Stopka

we are doing HS but now we are in stage of 60 second stand aganst the wall and getting shoulder mobility.Ok so whats recommended?Just End HBP training and wait till we get HS balance?thats a bit cruel

Cole Dano

I mean spot each other in the HeSPU away from the wall.

Jaromir Stopka

ok,ok....you mean holding feet some way?

Mikkel Ravn

Why would you stop HBP training? 

Jaromir Stopka

because till I get free balance in HS I am not able to follow this.Ok now I  will try training withy spot..we will see.And what about video above?

Mikkel Ravn

Well, HBP16 should be part of your effort to get the free standing handstand - keep practicing. 

Jaromir Stopka

ok..thanks a lot.....only one question....what is the PPT?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

PPT?! Really? It means posterior pelvic tilt. How have you reached Foundation 3 and honestly don't have clarity on this concept? Are you training Front Lever or Straddle Planche?

Jaromir Stopka

you think you are smart because english is your mother tongue?Can you speak any other language  at least little?Now I am checking on Youtube...end I now what that means.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Hey, woah, I wasn't suggesting your language skills are subpar. I meant no offense, but it just struck me as rather surprising that certain elements you're working on would be as advanced as Foundation 3 but that you were still somehow unclear on what PPT is/was. It has just been my understanding in training GB that PPT is a very fundamental and basic position that it is instructed and insisted upon with GST from the get-go of PE1, especially so with HBP. That was also why I asked if you're trying Front Lever and Straddle Planche because they enforce and require strong PPT, as well. So my apologies if you found it offensive.

Cole Dano

Don't worry Daniel, it is assumed knowledge at this stage. Now he knows it for sure.

Zack's advice is spot on.

 

Jaromir Stopka

yes the element of PPT is there but I didnt know it names like this.Can you show me pls where is PPT mentioned as PPT?

thank you

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

If you look at any form checks for sPL/PE1 through PE6, PPT is explicitly mentioned as being one the main, limiting factors. 

 

In FL/PE1-PE6, again PPT is mentioned repeatedly as being vital to help maintain the fluidity and consistent form throughout all the hollow and rock positions. 

 

In HBP/PE1 through PE3 the coaches and form checks seem to really hammer home that without PPT you aren't truly mastering the pushup position and progressions.

 

These are just from my cursory reflection and exposure I could delve deeper if need be, but like Cole said it should be assumed knowledge, so i'll leave it at that. I hope this helps.