This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My calves are in agony! A report from the Department of Funny Walks

Started by Greg McDonald, June 10, 2016 · 10 Replies · 486 Views

Greg McDonald

Wednesday was my second go at FSs and those calf raises just killed me.  I was about 20 reps in when I started to cramp up.  The other calf raise variations were event worse (bad hip flexor mobility...SO bad).  

Now, two days later, I still wince with every step and have to hold the handrail going up and down stairs.  Looking around the forum, the calf raises have something of a reputation for doing this.  I'm pretty sure no permanent damage was done and within a few days the DOMS will have passed, but it's pretty ferocious right now and, well, I just felt like sharing :-)

Jon Douglas

This too shall pass ;)

Ronnicky Roy

Fair warning now....once the pains go away and you get used to it. Don't miss a session lol.
I got to the point where my calves weren't killing me after the fact. Missed a week or two. After my stretch session last week, my calves ached till Tuesday. Never letting that happen again. I'm due for a stretch sessions tomorrow. I willll be on top of that XD

Greg McDonald
On 6/10/2016 at 8:20 PM, Jon Douglas said:

This too shall pass ;)

Amen!  Took about five days, but now it's all good!  Now I'm approaching the calf raises a little more conservatively.

Patriq Hansson

I'm starting the stretch series now and will do only half of the work load for the first month or so. 
Hopefully it's a good approach to ease into it, and not get overly sore :)

Jon Douglas

Should be fine :)

I'm doing 150r of each at the moment and during, it still gets that slightly heavy, almost-crampy feeling, so get used to that because it's not going anywhere ^_^ But it's nothing the next day. At first I definitely felt 60r for a couple days.

Greg McDonald

Full 60r of straight calf raises for the first time today and only a hint of cramping at the end. Fingers crossed I won't pay too dearly for it tomorrow...

James Orr

LOL, I did it for the first time on Monday and intentionally kept it to 20 reps each.  I'll add 5-10 more each week.

Jonas Berglund

Borrowing this thread.. should we take care of the calf Raises in the same manner as the stretching? (Moderately unfomfortable)

or should we go full 60 reps if we can?

for me right now My Max reps is somewhere around set1: 70 set2:62 set3: 55. Ive Been doing 60/60/45. (Set2 really close to failure unlike the stretching exercises)

Ronnicky Roy
On 11/28/2016 at 2:10 AM, Jonas Berglund said:

Borrowing this thread.. should we take care of the calf Raises in the same manner as the stretching? (Moderately unfomfortable)

or should we go full 60 reps if we can?

for me right now My Max reps is somewhere around set1: 70 set2:62 set3: 55. Ive Been doing 60/60/45. (Set2 really close to failure unlike the stretching exercises)

Do as many quality reps as you can. If you can't do anymore good reps, then stop there and prepare for the next stretch. If not, then just pause the video and finish your 60 however long it takes, before pressing play again.

Jon Douglas
14 minutes ago, Ronnicky Roy said:

Do as many quality reps as you can. If you can't do anymore good reps, then stop there and prepare for the next stretch. If not, then just pause the video and finish your 60 however long it takes, before pressing play again.

That works :)

I would recommend you take a couple weeks to make the whole 60 if your calves are a little neglected; easy to add more reps but it sucks to be genuinely struggling to walk as can happen at first. It adapts quickly though