This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Day 16: Elevation and Depression

Started by Andres Vanegas, June 10, 2016 · 2 Replies · 140 Views

Andres Vanegas

Hello all,

I have discovered a pain issue for myself in the Elevation and Depression video. When in the seated position and having the arms at the side, during depression and lifting myself off the ground I have an intense pain on my left wrist. This is exacerbated when trying to protract my shoulders more causing a decrease in the angle between the dorsal side of my forearm and dorsal side of wrist. The pain is alleviated if my move onto my fingertips or only the distal part of my palm and fingers and rest no pressure on the proximal portion of my palm (ultimately increasing the dorsal forearm/dorsal wrist angle). I do not believe I am doing this movement incorrectly since it is only on one side. Could this side be weaker or injured? If so, are there any exercises I can do to help strengthen it. I already do the wrist exercises with full pressure on the dorsal side for several seconds and make fists in this position as well. Let me know if you have any ideas.

 

Best,

 

Andres V.

Alessandro Mainente

I think that the problem is the wrist. basically depression and elevation take place in different joints and you can show them without modify the wrists. I think that you can sit on a bench and put the hands with fingers pointed forward. Only the beginning part of the hands should touch the bench, fingers are relaxed outside the bench. in this way there are less extension in the fingers bone and this should take off some stress from the wrist.

try it and let us know.

Saquib Rahman

I found using yoga blocks under my palms helped with that (wrists also felt better gripping it instead of pushing flat on the floor). My belly wouldn't let me lean forward enough to lift myself off the ground during depression, so I used the yoga blocks to give me a few more inches to push down on.

 

Just thought it might work for others as well as it did for me :)