This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE1 Check

Started by Wayne Grima, June 10, 2016 · 21 Replies · 411 Views

Wayne Grima

Hi, I'm looking for feedback on my form for this element. I'm currently doing step 8.

One thing I notice is my knees come apart as I bring them up during the later sets,

does this matter, you won't be able to see this as the video is filmed from the side view.

Other than that they feel good. Looking forward to any comments and pointers, thanks.

 

Cole Dano

IMO these look good. The if you're able to keep your hands at your sides, your knees aren't too far apart.

Any issue with this will be taken care of when you get to MN/PE3.

Wayne Grima

Golly gosh, I had to go back a few pages to find my thread lol. Here is my 5th sets of MN/PE1 and iM/1.

Is it time to go to PE2. Thanks for the feedback.

 

 

Cole Dano

The PE is good, and the top position is excellent. 

The timing needs to get a little more consistent but you have time to work on this . 

The iM has a few important corrections to make. The ROM is there but technique is off. 

- keep the weight over your shoulder, don't let it drift behind you. 

- keep your back flat, it's not important how far you reach back, you're already low enough.  

- torso angles over 60-45 degrees and the stretch favors the leg you angle towards. Though this isn't triangle pose there are some similarities. 

Wayne Grima
15 hours ago, Cole Dano said:

The PE is good, and the top position is excellent. 

The timing needs to get a little more consistent but you have time to work on this . 

The iM has a few important corrections to make. The ROM is there but technique is off. 

- keep the weight over your shoulder, don't let it drift behind you. 

- keep your back flat, it's not important how far you reach back, you're already low enough.  

- torso angles over 60-45 degrees and the stretch favors the leg you angle towards. Though this isn't triangle pose there are some similarities. 

Thank you Cole. I'll carry on with the PE while I improve the iM aspect. That should improve strength at 5x15.

For the corrections I need to make for the iM (Point1) I understand the correction needed about the weight drifting,

I'll be working on that, I may go lighter, atm I'm using 11kg (24lb).

With the next 2 points I'm not 100% I understand but this is the way I interpret them.

(Point 2) My back arching too much and I should keep it straighter?

(Point 3) I need to twist more reaching with my opposite arm to leg? I am too square coming down with my shoulders?

I appreciate your time and thanks for the help to get these corrected.

Cole Dano

Good questions. 

The main issue is your torso is square with your legs at the bottom rather than somewhat diagonal towards the leg opposite the upper hand.

At the bottom of the rep you veer in towards the other side, the twisting aspect lessens and chest closes (hollows).

So to answer your points

- the chest needs to stay open, you're mot arching to much at all.

- the torso needs to rotate to aid in keeping the weight stacked.

both of these will feel more natural when you come down diagonally  - which is done by shifting the weight towards the back foot as you begin the descent. 

 

Wayne Grima

Nice explanation Cole, I understand and will perform the iM with these corrections and post back.

Thanks.

Wayne Grima

Hi there, videoed my last session of the iM, all 5 sets. Below was my best one. I've got the twist

corrected however in a few reps in some of the sets my arm was still going wayward, not stacked

over my shoulder. I think it's from not knowing where my arm actually is in relation to my shoulder

rather than an error of form  if that makes sense. I'll continue till I get these solid but could I have feedback

on this update, my best set of the 5. Thank you.

 

Alessandro Mainente

some corrections are necessary on IM:

-  IM man 1.png   

if you notice the starting position is with the overhead arm in line with the corresponding leg.                                               while in your execution your are beginning in a straddle stand with the overhead arm in between the legs

-one feet is held with fingers facing forward and the other one tilted to the side. in your video you are tilting both to the side.

-the course video shows fully internally rotated hands while in the bottom position. you are partially doing this rotation that for sure must be completed.

-when performing the exercise on the other side in the video the weight MUST be stacked over the shoulders and it must not fall to the side.

Wayne Grima
18 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

if you notice the starting position is with the overhead arm in line with the corresponding leg.

Understood, will work on this, thanks.

18 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

while in your execution your are beginning in a straddle stand with the overhead arm in between the legs

Got it, I'll have the overhead arm in line with the corresponding leg and NOT between the legs. I have legs too wide when performing this, should be an easy fix.

18 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

one feet is held with fingers facing forward and the other one tilted to the side. in your video you are tilting both to the side.

I'm not following this, please could someone clarify :)

18 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

the course video shows fully internally rotated hands while in the bottom position. you are partially doing this rotation that for sure must be completed.

Ok, so I need to rotate the arm with the weight more?

 

18 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

when performing the exercise on the other side in the video the weight MUST be stacked over the shoulders and it must not fall to the side.

Yes will try and get this corrected thanks @Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

Yes but only in your first side.

About the feet positioning, your feet have fingers pointing 45° to the side, while in the video only one leg is tilted to the side of about 90° (almonst). look how the feet are positioned in the picture and in your starting position.

Wayne Grima

Here's an update on the iM. I found that having the opposite foot to the weighted arm pointing out really helped

so did having less angle in the straddle. The arm stacked over the shoulder isn't perfect,but much much better. I

feel this was just an orientation issue. In my other checks where the arm was way off it felt and looked like it was

stacked above the shoulder correctly. I made the correction/improvement by reviewing the videos and realizing

where the arm has to be.

 

Wayne Grima

^^^^^^^^

Bump

Ron Roitman

The video is blocked for some reason

Screenshot_2016-08-16-18-40-51-1.png

 

Wayne Grima

Ahhh thanks. I had the radio on in the background and it looks like there's copyright issue... how silly.

Wayne Grima

Ok, got some funky dub beats happening now, should play in all countries. Why would an artist do a copyright

claim, now their music won't be heard, anyways hows my latest iM, better? Thanks.

Alessandro Mainente

Definitely better then before, keep working.

Ron Roitman

Yes it's better :) 

You want to face your foot at 90°. Also if you look at the screenshot , try to APT and push your right glute back towards the other foot.

I didn't read the entire topic, but why were you internally rotating the non-working shoulder?

Capture.PNG

Wayne Grima

Hello and thanks @Ron Roitman for the detailed screen shot and explanation.I'll be able to get the foot at 90* no problem.

I'll work on pushing the glute back and see how that feels and looks. I have no idea why my non working shoulder was

internally rotating before, I think it just came as a natural movement with the twist of the windmill.

I like the stretch on this iM, feels great.

Wayne Grima

Hi, I'm back with a form check for the iM part.  The iM is what has been holding me back from progressing to PE/2.

After the good advice I received from the coaches I got the general concept right but had problems with my left arm

not being stacked directly above my shoulder, however my 1st side, or right arm was good and I really don't know

why I had this problem with my left side as it felt no different to my right. I have to put it down to an awareness issue,

or orientation issue, just not being aware where my arm was.

Below are 2 videos, 1st one is where right arm is good and left arm holding me back, the second video is my check

I'm submitting to move on to PE/2. Thanks for looking.

 

Wayne Grima

Please assess my form check, brown t-shirt vid, not the white t-shirt, that one was just showing how I was having

trouble with my left arm staying stacked above my shoulder.

Petra Dvorak

nice gain in mobility, Wayne, and also better execution than white shirt video!