This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

For the first time...

Started by Jon Douglas, June 10, 2016 · 8 Replies · 298 Views

Jon Douglas

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a high five; today I have performed my first maxed-out run through of front split series :) 150 of each of the calf raises, and split with front leg flat on ground / other leg on wall at 90. That left hamstring released some time week before last with weighted pancakes, and since then its been smooth sailing.

Extremely effective series; my 'favourite' as it addresses my weakest areas. The calf raises have done me a lot of good in running, both sprints and up to 7km, in both lightness on my feet and recovery, in boots, shoes and barefoot. I also love the pike holds for time; I prefer to do them with my back to stall bars so that I can pull myself further. I get a very pleasant decompression through my spine on these that is very welcome. I've also found this one psychologically the easiest to hit hard, consistently.

Coach has discussed a couple of options for increasing the intensity of the calf raises at seminar; I will trial a few of these myself and see how we go :)

Who else has gotten a bit creative with these, and what has been your experience? 

Ryan Bailey

Excellent Jon. I am also loving this course. Curious about your calf raise modification. Lately I've chalenged the ROM:  lightly held my hand on the stall bar in order to increase plantar flexion during the calf raises (not 150 of each:)). Sounds like cheating but it gives me about an inch higher than without, is still hard, and feels more similar Range of Movement to the passive sieza. Goal is to build up without assist.

Is this one of the aims, to get active calf raise way up on towards that big toe with full plantarflexion?

I also use the stall bar occasionally, back to bars for the longer holds, but I feel I am bottoming out a bit as I can now hold that final 2 minute stretch with arms wrapped around my legs, forehead to shins the entire 2 minutes.

Nothing quite feels like the pike pulls when completely supended on stall bars, and I feel pike pulls are the most bang for my buck addition for pike along with this stretch series, as the Jefferson curls are adding to the progress in this series as well.

 I have another question. If my forehead is able to press into my shins on that final 2 min. pike stretch, do we aim to lengthen the head down farther? And if so, how do you do this on that last stretch. Pike pull as the final stretch?

Eva Pelegrin
35 minutes ago, Ryan Bailey said:

I have another question. If my forehead is able to press into my shins on that final 2 min. pike stretch, do we aim to lengthen the head down farther? And if so, how do you do this on that last stretch. Pike pull as the final stretch?

I think the focus is very individual depending on the extendibility of the tissues that are lagging behind (upper vs lower post. chain). My understanding is that we also aim to consciously anterior rotate our pelvis (as it won't happen voluntarily) to further lengthen the lower posterior chain, which will come very handy for pHS and the like.

Jon Douglas
9 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

I think the focus is very individual depending on the extendibility of the tissues that are lagging behind (upper vs lower post. chain). My understanding is that we also aim to consciously anterior rotate our pelvis (as it won't happen voluntarily) to further lengthen the lower posterior chain, which will come very handy for pHS and the lie.

This is my understanding too; it shifts the emphasis back to the hamstrings in the pike. 

For the calf raises I have emphasised building the volume with controlled reps first; going on from here I will investigate extending the ROM, playing with rep tempo/pauses, and a couple other ideas that came up. One leg at a time is an interesting idea but in practice takes too long and lets the first one cool down too much before trying to stretch it again 

Mark Schoenhard

I worked up to 150 reps by adding 30 every few months.  Now I have gone back to 60 reps and added 25% body weight.  Plan on following the same protocol up to 150 reps.  The 60 reps loaded is more challenging then 150 reps unloaded.  Feels like the proper progression.

Jon Douglas
36 minutes ago, Mark Schoenhard said:

I worked up to 150 reps by adding 30 every few months.  Now I have gone back to 60 reps and added 25% body weight.  Plan on following the same protocol up to 150 reps.  The 60 reps loaded is more challenging then 150 reps unloaded.  Feels like the proper progression.

Yes, this is also a way I'm considering. I'm inclined to keep the volume somewhat higher though. How long have you been doing these? I'll bet you've seen some growth; have you noticed differences in running/jumping or harder plyo work?

Mark Schoenhard
22 minutes ago, Jon Douglas said:

Yes, this is also a way I'm considering. I'm inclined to keep the volume somewhat higher though. How long have you been doing these? I'll bet you've seen some growth; have you noticed differences in running/jumping or harder plyo work?

I've been doing loaded calf raises for about two months and I would agree about higher volume as it seems everything is adapting faster with weighted work.  I had been somewhat plateaued pursuing full body weight front lunges, but have found another gear.  Also, boxing coach has also noticed a quicker step drag and more powerful jab.  Aesthetically, they are larger and more defined then anytime in my life.

Leonhard Krahé
On 10.6.2016 at 10:45 AM, Jon Douglas said:

I also love the pike holds for time; I prefer to do them with my back to stall bars so that I can pull myself further.

I also, almost accidentally, started doing them like that. Turns out I get a very pleasantly unpleasant and very even stretch throughout my posterior chain by very slightly leaning forward. After that first time, my pike went from first knuckles on floor to hands flat in only one session and has been improving from there.

Jon Douglas

I tried emphasising a bit more lean and like it. Gets somewhatalongthe way to feeling like the inverted pike work in H2, but gentler. One of my absolute favourite stretches