This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bone spurring preventing full elbow extension 

Started by Cody Bradford, June 10, 2016 · 3 Replies · 62 Views

Cody Bradford

After many years as a professional hammer swinger, and a gross neglect of elbow pain, I've developed considerable bone spurs in my right elbow. Over the last few years I've been getting regular IMS and ART treatments on my forearms and have been diligent about a daily forearm & bicep mobility practice, which has slowly eliminated both elbow pain and the 'sleepy hand'. I'm left though, with several bone spurs that create a very definite bony stop roughly 10° from full extension. I've been told by numerous therapists that the only mobility work that will fix that is of the orthoscopic variety. I have had referrals with two different surgeons now, and have decided both times not to go through with it. The high likelihood of the osteophytes reforming is a dissuading factor. 

My flexion, incidentally, seems unimpaired. 

I'm just setting up my first week of the Foundation program and I'm planning to test mastery on several of the elements. I'm wondering a couple things regarding my elbow though: Will the progress of straight arm strength be limited if I am unable to reach full extension? And if I am unable to reach a true lock out with my right arm, aren't there many elements that I will be technically unable to achieve mastery on? Or most?! 

I've been reading through the forum for similar issues, and I'm very interested in how the patient, methodical GST progression takes into account individuals with genuine orthopaedic impairments. I guess I'm curious if the plateau will be reached sooner? 

Thanks for any help that might be offered. 

Edit - Just wanted to note that I don't currently have any elbow pain, even while performing heavy lifts. There's no shortage of posts regarding elbow pain - but I've dealt with that already. 

Cole Dano

I have osteoarthritis in my left elbow. (Too many slams in my skateboarding days) so I have neither full extension of flexion.

Though it's annoying to be sure, I haven't found the lack of extension to be a deal breaker at all.

Cody Bradford

Thanks for the reply. With a reduced ROM, do you judge mastery of straight armed components through the lens of 'well, that's as close as I can get'? And have you found any upstream issues with your shoulder or bicep that you can attribute to lack of full extension in your elbow? 

Cole Dano

Yes, straight is a fully extended elbow, whatever that means for your particular elbow.

Probably but you have to live with the hand you've been dealt.  My 'bad' side is tighter for sure. It's always a process.