This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE2 Form Check

Started by Cameron Williams, June 9, 2016 · 7 Replies · 115 Views

Cameron Williams

As per Cole's advice, I dialed it back from PE3 to PE2. Man this whole thing has been yet another good lesson. I think I rushed through these in the beginning and it caused me to get stuck at PE4 for quite a while.

Here's my form check... looks to me like ROM on my left side isn't as good as my right.

Comments are appreciated.

 

Cole Dano

Neither side is spectacular :(

I'd consider those to be half reps, as you really aren't yet able to fully sit down in the side squat on either side.

So the key thing to address is that bottom position.

Two things you could try -

Sit on a low box, yoga blocks etc at the bottom.

Hold onto a rack or something similar so you can relax into the bottom.

You can also use the same methods as a static stretch by staying in the bottom for a longer period of time.

But this definitely explains why the PE 4 is giving you so much trouble. 

Cameron Williams

It does explain the PE4 trouble!

Thanks Cole for your assessment.

Will work on the bottom position and post again in a few weeks.

Cam

Cameron Williams

Cole, is this better?

 

Igor De Britto

Not Cole here, but yes, the ROM is greatly improved. I'm also interested in knowing how "tall" one should be, in the sense of reducing the amount of lean forward. If you try to sit more upright, you'll feel the glutes engaging more, but I don't know if this is required for mastery on this element.

Either way, great effort there =)

Cameron Williams

Thanks Igor!

Im curious about the upper body lean as well, and what the gold standard is for that.

 

Cole Dano

Yes, much better! Right side is where it should be :) And now the left's being less mobile is apparent, so that's what you want to work on next.

Regarding being upright, some lean is acceptable. In fact in the gaining mobility phase, I wouldn't even worry about the lean. 

Now once you've got full ROM, then the next step is reduce the lean, and then you should find your quads doing more, perhaps glutes too. The main effect of getting upright is to make it feel 'heavier' to press back up. 

Cameron Williams

Thanks very much Cole :)