This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Where to go when Im very limited

Started by Patrick Healy, June 8, 2016 · 5 Replies · 240 Views

Patrick Healy

I know many people have asked what to do next but I had a really hard time in the foundations course due to the limited mobility of my shoulders and a very bad hip that was plagued me for over 10 years. 

To give a little background about myself I am a professional fighter (mma) and have been for around 14 years. This and my lack of taking care of my body in my early years has caused me to develop some pretty extreme tightness in my shoulders, calves/feet, wrists, thoracic spine and hips and I have dealt with a very limited/painful left hip since college wrestling (nearly 12 years). I have worked with trainers for many years trying to fix these issues but haven't seen anywhere near the improvement I have doing the fundamentals course.  This is very exciting for me and I am wondering what I should do next.  Should I repeat the fundamentals course or move onto foundations. To give a reference point I am still pretty far from doing a proper Ape or other movements like that.

Thank you very much for this course and I am excited to see what to do next.

Cole Dano

Foundations and Handstand One are chock full of outstanding shoulder mobility exercises as is the Thoracic Bridge course. Between the three you and little elbow grease and a lot of patience you should be able to make some significant progress.

If/when you get into any of these courses just post in their forums for help getting going with your issues.

Tony Comer

Patrick...Always enjoyed watching your fights....We have taken different roads, but ended up in similar locations...My hip MRI's show partial labrum tears on both sides, impingement and a little arthritis. Over the last 9 months, I've had 2 steroid hip injections,one PRP injection, and considering stem cells next. I do (try to do) the Apes, Frogs and Walking Bridges,ect... as part of my daily mobility warm up in the am, and would encourage you to do the same (unless Coach S says otherwise :) .....I also just randomly throughout the day drop down and do Frogs, Apes, Bridges ect whenever I have a couple spare minutes...I look crazy at the office, but it really helps keep the mobility up. If I just sit for 3-4 hours, I'm a wreck.  If your work-space allows, I'd recommend getting a standing desk as well...I'm always throwing a foot up on something to keep my hip flexors and groin area loose....In addition to GST, check out "Deskbound" by Kelly Starrett...Just try and keep moving/mobile throughout the day. 

Patrick Healy

Thanks Tony I will definitely add those into my daily routine. I have the same issues with sitting. Pretty excited about doing this gst, it has been great so far. 

Cole I look forward to starting these courses next week and after what fundamentals has done for me I will definitely put in the work and stay patient. 

Jana Treadwell
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 1:28 PM, Tony Comer said:

Patrick...Always enjoyed watching your fights....We have taken different roads, but ended up in similar locations...My hip MRI's show partial labrum tears on both sides, impingement and a little arthritis. Over the last 9 months, I've had 2 steroid hip injections,one PRP injection, and considering stem cells next. I do (try to do) the Apes, Frogs and Walking Bridges,ect... as part of my daily mobility warm up in the am, and would encourage you to do the same (unless Coach S says otherwise :) .....I also just randomly throughout the day drop down and do Frogs, Apes, Bridges ect whenever I have a couple spare minutes...I look crazy at the office, but it really helps keep the mobility up. If I just sit for 3-4 hours, I'm a wreck.  If your work-space allows, I'd recommend getting a standing desk as well...I'm always throwing a foot up on something to keep my hip flexors and groin area loose....In addition to GST, check out "Deskbound" by Kelly Starrett...Just try and keep moving/mobile throughout the day. 

wondering how the PRP is working for you.  I have lower back and hip flexor issues also and have a my first round of Prolo and Neuro therapy.  Will go again in a few weeks but I'm thinking I may try stem cell.  Anything to get rid of the constant hip pain.  The GB course seems to help with mobility but when I wake up I am back to square one and can barely move.

 

E Kasper

Pat, It's cool seeing you on here. I'm a big fan. Good luck getting your body back together.

Take Care