This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

So I just purchased stretch series, what now?¿

Started by Marcus Patterson, June 8, 2016 · 16 Replies · 546 Views

Marcus Patterson

Hi all,

 

just literally purchased the stretch series and I see that it varies from the foundation series in that it doesn´t give you reps and sets etc.

 

So how do you begin?¿ I just did the video for the middle splits(well I tried at least lol) but is there another for front split and another for thoracic etc? Or is it just the one that we do once a week?

 

Sorry for silly questions, I looked for a sticky which explains in more detail like we have on foundation but couldn´t see it.

 

thanks!

Eva Pelegrin

There's one separate follow along video for each course. Just play and follow the "class." You also have accompanying instructional videos with scaling options for each element. It might be easier to see it in a computer screen than a phone.

(No silly question). Enjoy!

Julia Quigley

Hi, and welcome! There is a video (and an audio only version for when you're familiar with the program) for front split, middle split, and thoracic. 

Coach recommends you do each clas in the stretch series, though some students have found they prefer to stretch twice a week, alternating between middle split and front split each week.

Personally, I like doing all three (Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday).

Marcus Patterson

Hi Julia,

 

thanks for the advice. So I would do each video, once a week coupled with my foundation work, correct?

Julia Quigley

Exactly! Some people do the stretch series after their foundation work, but I prefer to do mine on separate days.

Just figure out what is doable for you!

Marcus Patterson

Great, thanks! 

Davide Isernia
1 hour ago, Marcus Patterson said:

Hi all,

 

just literally purchased the stretch series and I see that it varies from the foundation series in that it doesn´t give you reps and sets etc.

 

So how do you begin?¿ I just did the video for the middle splits(well I tried at least lol) but is there another for front split and another for thoracic etc? Or is it just the one that we do once a week?

 

Sorry for silly questions, I looked for a sticky which explains in more detail like we have on foundation but couldn´t see it.

 

thanks!

Hi @Marcus Patterson
I have recently got in to GB, I was lost as you, what might help you along with this forum is to check on top, after you log in to your personal area, at the dashboard line named "Fitness" in the section "GST Introduction".
You`ll find most of your answers there.
Plus, always in the "Fitness" windows there are some Online Classes to follow anytime you want!
Hope this might help you too!

fadsa.png

Andrew Molina

Just started the Front Split Series today. Not sure where we post suggested changes to the website but the only thing I found in my programming was the full class video, where a number of the stretches (even the modified versions) were far too hard. It was only until I came across Eva's post about the element videos that I did a little digging and found them and the modifications they show. 

Wanted to suggest to new folks to start there before you watch the video, so you have your modified version ready when you need it. I wanted to suggest to GB that they make these videos visible on the workout page, so you don't simply start off with the full video without figuring out your mods. And the last thing I wanted to suggest was that some of the videos don't cover all the modifications needed. I also have really tight quads, which limit my hurdlers (I can't sit down on my bent leg for knee pain and extreme quad tightness), and I'm not quite sure how to modify, though I'll be trying the pillow next time, as I saw suggested in another thread. Would love you all to add a mention about this if possible. Thanks!

 

Otherwise, loved the intensity of the stretches.

Katerina Sourkova

Exactly why I'm on this forum right now! The TB course is way too hard so I'm looking for the scaling guide which is not linked on the TV course wizard page... Thank you for pointing me to the fitness page :) they're really should be linked to from the workout wizard page.

Alessandro Mainente

There are many different exercise which have a scaled version in the same page where video execution is showed.

Andrew Molina

Right, but when you click on the FS, MS or TB links from your daily workout, it takes you to the full stretch video, so the first time you do this, you have no idea where to find the videos for the individual stretches. What we're suggesting is this page, with the full video, should have some sort of obvious indication and link to the individual videos.

Mark Anderson

Andrew:

I have the same problem you do on the hurdlers. What I do is put a stretch block (about 3") under the glute on the stretching side. This relieves the pressure on the offside knee a bit and still gives me plenty of stretch in the hamstring. I suppose I could raise the stretching side foot on two blocks (6") to compensate for the glute elevation, but I'm getting enough intensity without that. My quads and knees are starting to loosen a bit. Hopefully, I'll be able to remove the block soon.

Mark

Lucy Wilkins
On 7/31/2016 at 6:29 PM, Andrew Molina said:

Right, but when you click on the FS, MS or TB links from your daily workout, it takes you to the full stretch video, so the first time you do this, you have no idea where to find the videos for the individual stretches. What we're suggesting is this page, with the full video, should have some sort of obvious indication and link to the individual videos.

I agree. I had no idea that there are scaled versions. Even now that I have found them Im not sure how to use them. My next stretch is scheduled for Wednesday but as I have no idea what the session will involve I dont know how to work out my scaled versions. It i all very confusing.

Patrick Rentz
On 7/24/2016 at 8:54 PM, Andrew Molina said:

Just started the Front Split Series today. Not sure where we post suggested changes to the website but the only thing I found in my programming was the full class video, where a number of the stretches (even the modified versions) were far too hard. It was only until I came across Eva's post about the element videos that I did a little digging and found them and the modifications they show. 

Wanted to suggest to new folks to start there before you watch the video, so you have your modified version ready when you need it. I wanted to suggest to GB that they make these videos visible on the workout page, so you don't simply start off with the full video without figuring out your mods. And the last thing I wanted to suggest was that some of the videos don't cover all the modifications needed. I also have really tight quads, which limit my hurdlers (I can't sit down on my bent leg for knee pain and extreme quad tightness), and I'm not quite sure how to modify, though I'll be trying the pillow next time, as I saw suggested in another thread. Would love you all to add a mention about this if possible. Thanks!

 

Otherwise, loved the intensity of the stretches.

Andrew, I have the same issue with hurdler and not being able to put all my weight on the bent leg, and I do the same thing as @Mark Anderson above - put a block under the glute of the straight leg and this puts me in a manageable position.

Johan Forsberg

This was confusing. Bought the course today and from the schedule it took me to Full Class course ( 45min ). Are you supposed to do this once a week? If you go Fitness -> Stretch -> FSs -> then you have SE1 to SE24. How are you supposed to use them? :wacko:

Everett Carroll

Hi Johan,

You should do each stretch series once per week. I recommend you use the follow along video for the workouts and regularly study the individual exercise videos and cues. Here is the full follow along video link: https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/FSs-full/

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

GB takes a lot more than just showing up. To some degree, you have to a be a bit of your own personal trainer. What I mean is that the exercise videos for both PE, SE, and iM are not fully explained in the actual workout videos (be that for the follow-along stretch series or your Foundation workout with Pro+). Furthermore, many of the questions you have about programming, tempo, ROM, mastery, etc. will not be answered in the training workouts. You need to go to the introductory articles, and you need to visit, revisit, and then revisit some more the individual pages for each PE, SE, and iM. The goal is mastery of each movement, not only to have a workout but mastery of each exercise progression. You won't get that without doing your homework. Yes, there is quite a bit of overhead to GB. So if you plan to tack on a new program, don't buy a program Monday morning and then expect to understand it fully Monday morning and jump into it (you could do this of course, but in hindsight, you'll realize you missed something). So, do your homework. I frequently revisit videos for cues on how one joint moves versus another, the particular angle, position, ROM, etc. of different body parts that may be stifling my progress. Be patient with it and be open to improvement.

 

I'm fairly certain it explains this in the introductory e-mail you receive upon purchase of a GB program. @Cory Fair could correct me if I'm wrong, but people there's a method to the madness if you heed the warnings. @Coach Sommer is usually quite understated when he mentions things (for instance, few if any of us are 'studs'--studs are likely elite level athletes, with emphasis on elite-- and when he mentions someone with zombie mobility, picture a geriatric in the hospital), so if he mentions it, magnify that statement by 3x and you're probably close to accurate.