This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fundamentals mastery

Started by Joe Bufkin, June 8, 2016 · 9 Replies · 830 Views

Joe Bufkin

Just wondering if there is any degree of mastery or proficiency expected for the Fundamentals before going into Foundation?  If not, what was the purpose of the Fundamentals program?  Can someone please explain.

Jon Douglas

The purpose is to provide a diagnostic on movement to give people a foothold on the mobility they are deficienct in; to provide basic conditioning and locomotion; as well as an introduction to the wide world of gst terms, body shapes and more. In the past this has proved to a steep learning curve in Foundation that has more or less necessitated a great deal of self guided reading on the forum

Fundamentals is the smoothest way in, and along the way you develop a handy warmup sequence :)

Andrew Molina

Is there a way to turn the fundamentals into a coherent workout if we wanted to keep working them before starting Foundations? Obviously the Weekly Review workouts would work, but wondering more about progression. I notice I sometimes do too many wrist-heavy exercises and they get sore so wondering what volume to start at and at what rate to increase?

Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated!

William Trask

you will have exactly that at the end of the 24-days.  A single coherent Daily Limber routine to use before your start any Foundation workout.

Andrew Molina

Yep, have already unlocked that. I'm looking for how to put together the other exercises (Ape, Crab, Frog, Stiff Bear, etc) into a coherent workout that wouldn't overdo it and help me progress on those moves before starting Foundation

Wayne Smith

What I did, was the daily limber, followed by the inch worm, or the crab & ape, or the frog & stiff bear.  I didn't do this for very long as I was itching to get going in foundations, which I recommend.  I still do the daily limber once a day, and sometimes twice a day. 

Tanya Hill

Many athletes continue to use the Fundamentals as a warm up for their Foundation workouts. 

Alessandro Mainente
4 hours ago, Tanya Hill said:

Many athletes continue to use the Fundamentals as a warm up for their Foundation workouts. 

Nice idea guys, especially for those people who asked how they need to warm up if they need to train the PE's 1.

Aaron Hughson

So the basic tenets of Fundamentals is to create a daily limber warmup pre foundation work?

Tanya Hill

The Fundamental shapes of GST, these movements can always be worked on and improved, they carry over to many other exercises down the road.