This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Yewkis: range of motion

Started by Jang Hyun Seong, June 7, 2016 · 3 Replies · 127 Views

Jang Hyun Seong

For my foundation work, I've currently been working on Yewkis for my Rope climb progressions. 

What is the proper range of motion for the exercise? 

Do I have to touch the bar with my torso? I currently am unable to do so, but do I practice it to increase the range of motion?

Or is just parallel / slightly above parallel to the upper arm good?

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

The Focus points, found below the videos, state: 1) Pull the body up to a bent arm horizontal front lever. 2) The arms will bend only to approximately 90 degrees.  In short: elbows at your sides or higher while holding a full layout front lever.

Do not watch the course videos, just to find out the basic information on form. Watch the course videos to also find out more detailed information about form and or to compare your own form.

Jang Hyun Seong

Thank you for the reply! I'll keep it at 90 degrees or slightly higher for now.

Are there any benefits of touching the bar with the torso as you get more experienced with the exercise? Is it possible to do so with controlled tempo?

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

The benefits of making any progression harder than the minimum requirements is more strength and endurance that is useful later on in the course. One downside to holding strict standards than the minimum course requirements is the fact that it will take longer to master the element at your particular standard.

If my understanding is correct, a lot of the elite level and Olympic gold medalist trained their body harder than most for the sake of developing more strength and endurance.
I personally hold my body to a stricter standard than the minimums laid out in the course material.