This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE 1 Causing Knee Pain

Started by Kevin Easton, June 7, 2016 · 7 Replies · 116 Views

Kevin Easton

I started back at Foundations 1 last week after a bit of time off.

I backed off all my progressions so I can focus on form.

I have found that the last couple days my knees have been sore.  The only real thing I have changed is starting back at F1.  SLS/PE1 is the only new leg exercise I have started recently.

Do you think I should add some mats to raise myself off the ground a bit so I don't put as much stress on my knees?  Obviously as my knee, ankle, and hip mobility increases I will take mats away.  I am trying to save my knees, but still workout.

Ryan Bailey

Kevin, that sounds like a great idea. Hopefully the knees respond quickly since you have done these before. I don't see anything wrong with backing up a step if the pain is reduced in order to let everything adapt again. 

Cole Dano

Mats can be a great help.

You can also post a form check just so we can see what's going on. Knee pain in these is often due to letting the knees collapse in too much as your roll up. Make sure your knees are tracking with your feet.

If you can't make that happen from the floor, than use a tall enough stack of mats that will let you do so.

Kevin Easton

I don't have the lower leg mobility right now to properly do this progression. 

I end up having to get a lot of momentum coming up, my feet are wider than shoulder width, knees are collapsing. 

Basically everything you can do wrong on these I am doing.  It's not due to lack of strength, rather lack of mobility.  I am sure with more Front Split stretching my Achilles will loosen up and allow me to get more flexion in my ankle.  In the meantime I will stack some mats under me.

Cole Dano

I'll often have students who can't keep the feet close do it at hip width and angled out, similar to the catch position in a snatch. For some this is more natural than feet together. The important thing being holding those knees open, not collapsing.

Kevin Easton

All of the videos I have watched, the feet are pretty close together. 

For Mastery of this movement are my feet required to be close together or is this a preference thing based on personal preference, build etc?

I want to make sure I do this right and I don't want to compensate and end up not doing the proper preparation for upcoming progressions. 

 

Cole Dano

Let's get rid of the knee pain first, before worrying about such things.

At this point we don't know what will be your best option to start, so we're giving you alternatives to experiment with. None of them will be a detriment to your long term progress.

Kevin Easton

Ok, cool.

 

I will pile up some mats to raise up my glutes.  Once I hit the mastery level I will take a mat away and start over until I have the proper mobility. 

Thanks