This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Transitioning to Foundations

Started by Wayne Smith, June 4, 2016 · 4 Replies · 462 Views

Wayne Smith

Hi,

 

I'm asking this here, because it specifically relates to what I was hoping to get out of the fundamentals program, and going into the foundation program.  I "completed" the course a couple of days ago, and have been doing the daily limber and acquainting myself with the first steps of foundations.  This morning I did SPl1 & im.  I'm sure you already know I struggled with swivel hips.  I have read the FAQ and the stickies in the foundations forum, and have looked at the Dean Somerset, and Dewey Nielson videos, and the external links collated by Dylan. Then a little bell rang, and I realised that the supplemental work that Coach endorses for working up to the 1st PE in foundations would be included in fundamentals.

I'm guessing that for swivel hips, this would be ape and frog?  I haven't seen either of those mentioned in the foundation forum posts I saw, other than the "frog stretch", which looks different.  Certainly I intend to keep doing ape and frog, and from tomorrow will add them to my daily limber routine. I read in one of the stickies about arch ups, which I'm guessing is covered in the limber with the seal pose.

I guess my question is "are all of the supplemental exercises I need in order to get the 1st PEs and ims included in the fundamentals, or do I need to include the work suggested from these external sources?"

Are frog and ape the recommended  movements for helping with swivel hips?

Can we get a reference list for which aspects of fundamentals connect with each foundation movement?

I'm ok to try and join the dots together myself, but it's fairly apparent that I've been connecting them wrong for the last 46 years when it comes to strength and mobility. It's been from following along any number of of external resources that has led me here, where I was hoping to get everything in one place.

Thank you so much to the GB team for putting this course together, I have already gotten a lot out of it and am excited to keep working and improve my strength and movement into the future.

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne Smith

So should I be doing side planks with leg raises then?

This seems counter-intuitive to me, being that:

  • They weren't in the fundamentals
  • They seem to require more strength than any of the  step 1 PEs
  • They are from an "external source"

If so, how many should I look at doing initially? 3x per side?

Perhaps my form is not so bad after all, as I see on further reading that 'some' lifting of the butt is acceptable?

 

Cheers

 

Wayne

Mark Collins

The front split stretch series will have more specific stretches for internal hip rotation. You can also perform swivel hips as often as you like for improved mobility.

It would be nearly impossible to link the Fundamental exercises to Foundation. There are 200+ exercises in Foundation. Also the links would be different for each person as we are all different. 

 

Wayne Smith

Thanks Mark.

I guess I was a little scared off by all the comments in the forum that it can take years to master hip swivel.  I am slowly becoming more comfortable with it.  I've been doing the daily limber every day, and that is definitely helpful.

Today I tried the Daily limber both before my workout in the morning, and again on its own in the evening.  I think I will continue doing it twice a day.

Cheers

Wayne

Cory Fair
1 hour ago, Wayne Smith said:

Thanks Mark.

I guess I was a little scared off by all the comments in the forum that it can take years to master hip swivel.  I am slowly becoming more comfortable with it.  I've been doing the daily limber every day, and that is definitely helpful.

Today I tried the Daily limber both before my workout in the morning, and again on its own in the evening.  I think I will continue doing it twice a day.

Cheers

Wayne

Years to master swivel hip usually means years of inconsistency on the part of the student. Be consistent and sensible with your stretching and it'll most certainly come. Daily Limber + Front Split + Swivel Hip Practice (don't forget the technical tips on the swivel hip progression page) as Mark suggested will make a significant impact on progress.