This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Open Gyms in San Francisco?

Started by Thomas Wurgstrom, June 2, 2016 · 13 Replies · 1,109 Views

Thomas Wurgstrom

Hey all, 

 

I am going to be moving to SF in a couple months, and I was wondering if there were any open gyms that were available after working hours (preferably like 8-10pm?) / available during the week days. I'm mainly interested in those that have large spring floors for tricking/tumbling. Does anyone have any recommendations for places?

Mark Alexander

Hi Thomas,

I checked for gyms here in SF 18 months back and found very little:  two or three that do kids' gymnastics and a circus school.  SF needs GB bad ;-)

Best,

mark

Andrew Lundsten

@Thomas Wurgstrom or @Mark Alexander Did you ever find anything in SF? My apartment is unfortunately way too small to do much of GB past the fundamentals, and there's no way that I can install stall bars, which seem critical especially to the stretching series, which I need a lot of work on.

I was hoping the Y on Embarcadero would have it as their facilities look great from the pics, but no stall bars there.

Mark Alexander

Hi Andrew,

I haven't found anything.  There's a handful of parklets with rings and other useful equipment, but there's no stall bars.  In the end I bought all the equipment and train at home.

...feel like starting a gym together?

mark

Luke Searra

Do it guys!

 

Andrew Lundsten

Do we have a sense for demand in SF city / bay area?

A good starting point would be to find a gym (maybe crossfit like Potrero Hill Crossfit?), see if they'll let us use their gym and then get some stall bars installed and buy any other small items they don't already have (e.g. yoga blocks) needed for GST.  Has anyone done this in the US / abroad? I remember Tim Ferriss mentioned in the podcast he found gyms in SF that let him do his own workouts, but not sure about adding equipment.

Mark Alexander

Hi Andrew,

It's a good idea.  I've tried it at a few gyms (including the gym in my office building), but frankly it's hard to find like-minded folks who see the value of "weird" equipment like stall bars.  There's not exactly a big community of people I can point to and say, "all these people will come to your gym if you install this."

...so in the meantime, I train at home ;-)

best,

mark

Luke Searra

Hi guys you both have obviously bought your GB GST courses (if not please do so)- so my suggestion is to go and talk to the CF boxes in your area about using their gym during open gym time and explain what you're doing and that you want to train GST together. There is more than enough equipment to make good substitutes for Stahl bars. Be reminded that if you intend to open an official GB GST affiliate you need to be hand picked by Coach Sommer himself.

Mark Alexander

Hi Luke,

Absolutely - I'm up on my legitimate course registrations :-)  And though I have fantasies of being a trainer and opening a gym, it's unlikely to happen -- my main gig is as a lead engineer on projects that tend to be intense; no time for part-time gigs.

I'll be in Japan in September; what region are you in?

best,

mark

Luke Searra

Hi Mark! Currently I am based in China in Guangzhou

Andrew Lundsten

Yup, have the GST courses -- not looking to get an official affiliate anytime soon but 10-4 on getting GB blessing :)

Is there a thread somewhere with stall bar alternatives that you mentioned @Luke Searra ? I started the stretch series this week and looks like i won't be able to do a few of the exercises without it.

Also, sounds like Rougue is Coach Summers' current recommendation for purchasing stall bars is the metal ones made by Rogue Fitness per this thread:

 

Luke Searra

new-stall-bars-h2.jpg

Everett Carroll

Nice set up!