This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Curled Seiza question

Started by Daniel Stephan, June 2, 2016 · 3 Replies · 157 Views

Daniel Stephan

Hello!

I have a question concerning optimal heel position for the curled seiza. I know Coach always stresses keeping the heels together, but when I do when I'm in curled seiza, only my big toes will curl under, while my other toes are hanging in the air. I can get all my toes nicely curled under my feet when I let my heels drift apart.

So, should I just keep my heels together and keep my bodyweight on just my big toes or should I let my heels drift apart so I can keep all my toes curled under?

image.png

Julia Quigley

My understanding is that you should keep the heels together, and overtime as your foot stretches you'll get more and more toes on the ground.

But as always, wait for someone more experienced to bless this post or correct it :)

Andrew Long

Daniel, I tried what you are doing now and ended up with a tendon issues with my big toes.  be careful of the pressure you put on them here.  I am not sure what the correct protocol is for this as I wasn't answered last time although coach seemed confused as to why all the weight was on my big toe in a negative sense so I stopped doing it. now I just have with all toes on the floor and knees in the air leaning back more.  hope that makes sense (I also sit on a stretch block between my heels and my bum to help keep the heels together). would be keen to see someone elses thoughts on this.

Daniel Stephan

Elevating the knees seems like a good idea, I just tried putting my knees up on a stretch block and it stretched my toes as well as my achilles! Thanks for the tip!