flexibility training, strategies and stretches?

Started by Edward Smith, January 21, 2008 · 5 Replies · 5,998 Views

Edward Smith

i know coach sommer advocates active stretching and flexibility over static, because thats whats needed in gymnastics, but what about conditioning a gymnasts flexibility? how many reps, sets, time?

also is isometric stretching very good for gymnastics?

i know that side split stretch with the rings, coach has suggested ( i do i t on a skateboard, same idea) but what active stretches are there for the hamstrings and other muscles?

zennode

Dynamic stretching. What I do for dynamic stretches for the quads, hams, and hip flexors are leg lifts. Do front, side, and back leg lifts. Here are a great list of dynamic stretches you can do:

http://www.acc.co.nz/injury-prevention/ ... /index.htm

kbryk

I do stretches for side splits, front splits, calves, hips flexors, obliques, shoulders, shoulder/elbow rotators, wrists, and ankles. I would actually list the stretches I do but honestly I don't even know the names, I'll see if I can find pictures.

Stutz4Life

In most cases with stretching reps don't matter. What is important is doing the stretch right. 100 Minutes of stretching a split wrong is nothing compared to a few minutes stretching it correctly. Doing the stretches right will increase the speed at which you flexibility will get better.

Raizen

http://trickstutorials.com/index.php?pa ... lexibility

Read it. Now. Also, I highly suggest going to your local book store and picking up a copy of Stretching Scientifically, by Tom Kurz. I found it to be basically the best guide to improving flexability out there.

-A-

Alexander Kornishev

I would highly recommend Pavel's Book: Relax into Stretch: Instant Flexibility Through Mastering Muscle Tension.

very good and up-to-date.