This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Quick lunch idea with sardines (especially if you don't like them)

Started by Julien Le Nestour, June 2, 2016 · 4 Replies · 148 Views

Julien Le Nestour

I thought I'd just share what I'm doing for lunch often these days :-)

I don't really like canned sardines, but it's really nutritious, cheap and quick to prepare. So here's how I'm doing and enjoying them.

I take 2 cans of sardines packed with spring water. I dump them in a glass container with all the water (no idea if better, but when draining them I notice a lot of oil bubbles in the water, so I'm assuming by not eating the water, I leave out beneficial fats, but I may be wrong). I then add a big splash of cider vinegar and mash everything into a fine paste. It resembles some kind of sardines paté or "rillettes" as we say in French.

That's it, I like the taste as it is and it takes a couple of mins to make and pack for lunch.

It won't win any awards and the taste may be an acquired one, but I like it now and it's another option in the toolbox for a healthy lunch protein :-)

Philip Papandrea

I have a tough time with sardines also. Not sure if just cider vinegar would be enough to hide the flavor for me but I'll give it a try. I have two ways I've been eating canned sardines. The first way is to mash them with avocado and kimchi. The second way is a little more work but hides the taste even more. I can even get my 2 year old to eat sardines this way. I boil some potatoes and then mash them. Throw the can of sardines in with some old bay seasoning. I then make little potatoe cakes out of the mixture put them on a pan and brush them with olive oil. Bake until little golden brown and enjoy!

 

Julia Quigley

I think I'd need more than cider vinegar too, but maybe one day I'll get there ;) 

I made this recipe years ago and really enjoyed it; its on my list to make again. In the comments they say sardines or anchovies work.

http://www.health-bent.com/sauces/protein-pesto

Jon Giordano
On 6/2/2016 at 10:26 AM, Philip Papandrea said:

I have a tough time with sardines also. Not sure if just cider vinegar would be enough to hide the flavor for me but I'll give it a try. I have two ways I've been eating canned sardines. The first way is to mash them with avocado and kimchi. The second way is a little more work but hides the taste even more. I can even get my 2 year old to eat sardines this way. I boil some potatoes and then mash them. Throw the can of sardines in with some old bay seasoning. I then make little potatoe cakes out of the mixture put them on a pan and brush them with olive oil. Bake until little golden brown and enjoy!

 

Philip,

Good call on the Old Bay!  Not sure why I didn't think of that... my usual go to is hot sauce.  "I put that %$@! on everything" 

 

Julia Quigley

Made some homemade Caesar dressing this week and it was a very delicious serving of healthy fats with lunch! Ingredients were egg yolk, lemon juice, olive oil, anchovies, garlic, Parmesan cheese.