This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Measurement before or after cooking

Started by Nicolas Arlinghaus, June 1, 2016 · 5 Replies · 205 Views

Nicolas Arlinghaus

Hey Jeff!

I just unlocked this task and i have a quick question about the portions. I have been mostly getting my starch through rice and potatoes and wanted to know if the 1-2 fists/cupped hands for rice are before or after I cook the rice. I assume you mean when it is done but I want to make sure. I usually take about half a cup of uncooked rice (about 100g maybe a little more) and that amounts to about 1 1/2 to 2 fists.

I am looking forward to your answer!

Nicolas

Jeff Serven

When its done, cooked measure. 

Nicolas Arlinghaus

Thanks!

Julia Quigley

Does the same go for vegetables? Most vegetables don't change size dramatically, but makes a big difference for foods like spinach and mushrooms! I've been measuring raw for these items, and cooked for most others (unless I'm making a soup with thrive portions, in which case I measure all the vegetables raw as I'm assembling the soup).

Jeff Serven

Good question. You are right, rice doubles in size where almost all veggies stay the same. In the case of sautéed spinach I would go with the raw measure. If there are other similar situations then go with the raw measure but don't get creative and start saying your broccoli expanded and you really only need one florets. 

Julia Quigley

What, you don't buy "plump when you cook it" broccoli??